Question on powder charge

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf5348

Reaction score
I been testing a new impact on loads it shoots best . I find it favors t/c shockwave both blue and yellow tip.
The BH 209 load I use is 90 gr. But I also lean more to 80 grains of powder.
Now should I stay with the non bonded yellow tip or use the blue bonded bullet at 80 grains

Personally I think 80 and 90gr are pretty light for the shockwaves to open and work properly. Have you tried at least 100- 110 gr bh209?

ok I can certainly understand that!

If 90gr is max, you really should look into the hornady xtp or even the harvester scorpion pt gold. 90gr is pretty light for the shockwave.

If anything in shockwave use the yellow non bonded, people have had trouble with them not expanding.. I don't use them to hunt, they shoot good in every gun I've owned but my experience is they are too hard, I now shoot scorpions and Barnes.

https://ibb.co/q9567bY
I ran some Thompson center cheap shots the other day at the 100 yd  benched
80 gr. 209 powder
The first 2 shots left then a few click on the scope.
Not bad for lead h.p.

Not bad at all. I know from experience that the xtp's are wicked on whitetails. I think they shoot right with the cheap shots, if I'm not mistaken.

If anything in shockwave use the yellow non bonded, people have had trouble with them not expanding.. I don't use them to hunt,
Years ago i used the 250 grain SST and the 250 grain Shockwave interchangeably. That was a mistake. Had some long deer dragging jobs after Shockwaves failed to expand. i won't use any Shockwave bullet.

The 250 grain SST and the 300 grain .452 XTP have worked very well for me.

We hunt with 80 grains of BH209 and the bonded 250 grain shockwaves. We’ve probably shot a dozen deer with that combination and none have gotten out of sight.  The longest shot was 90 yards.

I was given some 45 cal. 240 gr. Hornady bullets with green sabot came in the same box.
.430 diameter.
I mic it at .507 theses will never get down the impact rifle bore.
I wonder about crush ribs from harvester . thanks

lonewolf said:
https://ibb.co/q9567bY
I ran some Thompson center cheap shots the other day at the 100 yd  benched
80 gr. 209 powder
The first 2 shots left then a few click on the scope.
Not bad for lead h.p.
Used them many years hunting and have killed Deer, Sheep and Hogs with them. 240Gr. Cheap Shot Sabots.

oneshot

I use the TC branded xtp;s that are .451 I think they are using the m.m.p sabot's. They are a little stiff to load in the tc but not a lot. The crush ribs may be loose with the .430 bullet. If I remember correctly the crush rib is more for the .451 bullet.( The black crush rib)

I was given some 45 cal. 240 gr. Hornady bullets with green sabot came in the same box.
.430 diameter.
I mic it at .507 theses will never get down the impact rifle bore.
Green sabots are used with .429-.430 bullets.

Going to with 44 cal xtp non mag.with 80 gr. Volume bh209 green harvester crush rib set up
[align=justify]240 grains s[/align]

Along these lines I've been experimenting with a T/C encore Khatadin 20 inch ml barrel with 100 gr with the 300 gr xtp and 250 gr Monoflex whew its a handful . I'm backing the charge down to about 90 hopefully this is fast emough for the monoflex to open its a toss-up accuracy wise but the recoil is brutal.

My hardest deal with Black Powder was to take a week with my 3 rifles and do me a "Recipe Book" How many grains of BP to which projectile yields ME the results I am looking for. Thus being said Shock Wave 130 grains powder at 100 yards yields ME 2.5/3 inch group 5 rounds consistent. However I am not looking for much more. Each one of us yields a different group with same powder/ same powder charge and same Bullet No two bp rifles produce duplicate groups.

I did drop the charge to 90 grains and then changed the bullet to the 300 gr Deep Curl wow .  Cut my groups by 3/4 of an of an inch.  Right down to about  1 inch and they were repeatable because i just basically shot a nice circle out of the target.  Now I hope those Deep Curls work on deer.

Back