R.E.A.L. 250 Grain

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_3238.JPG

Jonathan (MountainDevil54) provided the 250 grain R.E.A.L. bullet, and wad.

IMG_3243.JPG

The distance between the rifle, and the horse is 25 yard. The powder charge is 80 grain Blackhorn Powder.

The bullet bounced off the sixth (last) jug, and lay right there down on the ground.

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

Muley Hunter said:
Did he say what he used for lead? That doesn't look like pure lead.

Jon mentioned on Hunting.net that he hardened some by using Chilled Bird Shot in hopes of tightening them up when loading, Like myself Way back Switching to 40:1 Alloy for the same reason, Pure lead starts to give up on the way down the bore to the point I wouldn’t trust them staying put on the powder, when i switched to 40:1 that problem went away, they start good n snug and stay that way to the powder :yeah:

This 250 Grain Lee R.E.A.L. Performed AWESOME!! I would be very pleased with it :yeah:

ronlaughlin said:
Muley Hunter said:
Did he say what he used for lead? That doesn't look like pure lead.

He say
.....these reals were cast from pure lead.....

I seen where Jon posted that as well, I would love to do a hardness test on that bullet, it sure doesn’t look like pure lead? He has pics of both bullets, the Soft, and the Hard Chilled shot lead, It’s easy by looking at his pics to tell which is which, The lubed bullet in your test looks an AWFUL lot like the Harder stuff to me? I’m Not saying he’s lying, Maybe he sent you 1 of the harder bullets by mistake? Or I’m wrong? Either way it doesn’t matter, The bullet did well

Ron, Being able to do that with your finger nail it’s probably pure lead, or close to it. I don’t think you could do that with the Chilled Shot stuff Jon spoke of making? I have never melted down a Bunch of Shot like that and tested the Hardness, I’m not sure just how hard chilled shot is? I know Idahoron uses 1,000 Grains of Chilled Shot to X amount? Of pure lead to Reach his desired 8-9 Brinell. I haven’t experimented with it enough to know. I have no reason to disbelieve Jon, i was simply going off of what he had said on Huntingnet about making some bullets from Chilled shot to Harden them up so they would hold tighter in the bore during Loading (Something i am very familiar with) i just suspected this was 1 of his Chilled Shot bullets?

The Bullet performed well! :yeah:

I'm not arguing that it isn't pure lead. I can't figure out why it didn't flatten out more? That's a torture test that should do more to pure lead than that. What would a pure lead PRB look like?

Muley Hunter said:
I'm not arguing that it isn't pure lead. I can't figure out why it didn't flatten out more? That's a torture test that should do more to pure lead than that. What would a pure lead PRB look like?

Pete, No argument here either, I would have thought that little 250 Grain R.E.A.L. Of Pure lead being pushed that hard would have PanCaked a BUNCH, instead of forming a beautiful small mushroom, i would have suspected it to roll back a BUNCH more. Proof is in the pudding tho! Glad I didn’t have an opportunity to bet on this one, i would have lost! I have enjoyed watching Ron’s Tests since i joined the forum :yeah: i know there is a lot of time that goes in to this stuff

About how fast would this 250 Grain bullet be traveling with 80 Grains of Black Horn?

BH209 data shows nearly all 250gr projectiles with 80grV charge - between 1650-1750fps

Be very careful answering any and all questions regarding this precious all lead bullet . We sure don't want another liar on this board .

maybe its due to the shape of the bullet.

Muley Hunter said:

Even if pure lead, I can't help but wonder what the purpose of shooting such a projectile? Is it a hunting bullet?
I hope not, but curiosity to learn; compared this bullet at 1700fps to a bullet 2x as heavy going 1300fps.

Attachments

• 250 500 1300.jpg
    250 500 1300.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 250 500 1700.jpg
    250 500 1700.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 167
I still have that same mold. I took it to work one day and asked a guy in skilled trades if they could make me a few as I didn't have any lead or melting facilities. He said they made about 2000 over the weekend and shared them with everyone working on the project.

Latest posts

Back