Range Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the same velocity, the 300 gr. bullet is the flatter shooter when comparing bullet of identical styles, due to its higher BC--

Well YEAH? :poke: At the expense of even MORE recoil! :prayer:

70gr of AA2015 gives me 2140fps with a 300gr XTP. 42gr of N-110 gives me 2300fps with a 250gr XTP. These two loads have practically the same trajectory. Shot from the same rifle the free recoil energy for the 250gr load is 17.4 ftlbs and for the 300gr load 27.1 ftlbs, a 36% increase in recoil!

I've never known increased recoil to ever be a good thing. In fact, it is un-good.

Have you considered a recoil pad? :think:

If a 300 gr. bullet is "unsmart" or ungood how would one logically rate a :puke: 495 gr. No Excuses on the sea slug scale?

If a 300 gr. bullet is "unsmart" or ungood how would one logically rate a 495 gr. No Excuses on the sea slug scale?

19ftlbs recoil in same rifle. ALSO..absolutely no shot taken over 120yds....

That's why they call them choices. :drinkers:

If the "need" for a 300 gr. bullet is unseen on deer, the "need" for a 495 gr. bullet is even more invisible.

the "need" for a 495 gr. bullet is even more invisible.

Ahh HA! But here the need is for ACCURACY as the 495gr is more accurate than the other weights! I would have RATHER shot the lower weight conical...

But yes...Choices they are...

How 'bout this one Jcarthyboy?

Picture041.jpg

Hot barrel.. 3rd was a flyer... I can repeat this over and over and over..

Ahh HA! But here the need is for ACCURACY as the 495gr is more accurate than the other weights! I would have RATHER shot the lower weight conical...

But yes...Choices they are...

There are all kinds of "new" needs, like cleaning your gun and toasting your scope and runny bullet lube and being careful not to dent your bullets if you look to hard at them and don't forget your capper and . . .

If you think that there is any reason to use a ballistically dark, dank, dismal, sea-slug slow 495 grain Chuckie Cheese chunck of sticky cast lead on a deer, than it is time for use of lithium as salad dressing. :wall:

But, like a moped-- they are fun. Just don't want anyone to see me riding one. :shock:

LOL...

My sea slug shooter is a fun gun! 495gr at the speed of a .22LR !! Yeah baby! yeah! :prayer:

Venison...I will talk with you later..

Randy....I originally went with the reloader 7 because it was the only powder I could locate the first day I went to the range. I was reading some of your articles and that was the only powder I could find that you had written about positively. Of course I saw that group you posted and mistakenly assumed you were getting consistent groups similar to that. My bad for assuming :wink:

Now for my next question......

I actually posted a variation of this question once before, and recieved a great response from rifleman. My question is, (I would like to hear everyones answers or experiences), do you, or don't you, have your left hand on the forend when benchrest shooting your muzzleloader. (What about higher recoil firearms such as rifled shotguns?).

Here is a link to the original post...

Forearm pressure when shooting from a benchrest..

http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=895

Classic Benchrest...

107_0787.jpg

Left hand with Forearm pressure

107_0789.jpg

Randy....I originally went with the reloader 7 because it was the only powder I could locate the first day I went to the range. I was reading some of your articles and that was the only powder I could find that you had written about positively. Of course I saw that group you posted and mistakenly assumed you were getting consistent groups similar to that. My bad for assuming :wink:

Reloder 7 IS a Savage recommended powder, always was, and has never been "unrecommended." It is also a SMI recomended powder, and SMI loads are posted with it. Ron and Joe Name can likely give you more info than that if you are interested. I ran out of VV120 last year, their DOT certs had expired, and no more could be shipped by UPS, etc. No point in working with a powder no one could get.

Soon after, it was hunting season, the point of it all-- and there was nothing that 5744 could not do for me that I wanted to do.

VV120 is available again, available for good, so I went back to shooting it earlier this year. It is so very easy to work with, and the results so uniformly good, that there is no reason for me to revisit Reloder 7. Just because it is not my fav, does not mean others have not had excellent results with it. N120 is more my speed, literally.

At the range on in the field, my hand is on the forearm for the most part.

Thanks for the reply Randy.

I should have stated that is how I have been shooting.....

I would like to hear from any others as well...thx in advance..JEFF

actually posted a variation of this question once before, and recieved a great response from rifleman. My question is, (I would like to hear everyones answers or experiences), do you, or don't you, have your left hand on the forend when benchrest shooting your muzzleloader.

For a HUNTING rifle, my left hand is absolutely on the forend of the rifle, just as I would shoot in the field.

JCchartboy, I just noticed you were asking a ? in your post about technique, my bad. One thing I noticed is that the bench is too high for you. Now this may help negate recoil somewhat as you are pretty erect but I noticed your right elbow is on the edge of the table. Not good. I would get a booster seat of some sort as well as something to keep your feet flat. But the point is to get that elbow anchored flat and securely on the bench. Also if you prefer to shoot with the hand on the forearm, I would slide the front rest back a hair and get that hand on the rest, and hold it between the gun and the rest. Anchor all points mates, that is the key.
Hope it helps,
Rman

One more thing, the right shooting hand is to low and loose. I would grab the rifle up a little higher and get a firmer grip, but not so high I could rest my elbow once I got situated sitting a little higher as I mentioned in my previous post. By getting a higher firmer grip the trigger finger should engage the trigger with the first pad in front of but not on the joint. Minimal to no contact should be made with the gun with the trigger finger. Couple that with a firm grip and trigger control will be easier without the sympathic squeezing of the rest of the hand when the trigger is pressed straight to the rear. :wink:

dwhunter said:
RandyWakeman said:
Reloder 7 IS a Savage recommended powder, always was

How come it's "not" in the owners manual then? :huh?:

It was from the very beginning . . .

Most people don't want more powder choices, they want less. IMR4227, Alliant 2400, and RL-7 are all Savage recommended powders-- but 5744, N110, and SR4759 are the current preferred powders, and the ones listed in the latest manual.

Thanks Rifleman,

I did not even notice my elbow was not on the bench. As you can already tell I feel very awkward on that bench,(wasn't too hard for you to notice, was it.). I think the bench top is too short, and too high. I would prefer to push both rests farther forward. However there is no room.

That leads me to another question. Is there an ideal location for the front rest under the forend? For example, ( x inches, or as close as possible to the front/back ,etc). I find if I push the gun forward it really does snug up in the rest. I am assuming that is the ideal spot.

I still feel as if the rig needs to be brought forward on the bench. Then the seat raised, and brought closer to the bench. Then I could comfortably rest that elbow on the bench. Unfortunately it is a public range, and those adjustments can't be made.

One more thing, the right shooting hand is to low and loose. I would grab the rifle up a little higher and get a firmer grip

I think that is a function of the elbow being poorly placed...

The gentleman that makes the wonderful Tar-Hunt slug shotguns, I believe his last name is Fritz, says that is important in slug guns and other lower muzzle velocity guns to firmly hold the forearm and apply pressure at a 45 degree angle when shooting from the bench. This is the opposite of centerfire rifle bench rest technique where you want the gun to "slide" back on the rest with recoil. Fritz says since the slug is in the barrel longer that it is better to sight in and shoot groups that way.

Latest posts

Back