Range rod recommendations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use an inexpensive cva range rod it is a little flexible and does a decent job and doubles for a cleaning rod. But if i have to push a sabot and projectile out it doesn`t do the job. Any recommendations for a better quality rod? More than one would not hurt. Thanks guys

When I started to accumulate in lines I bought a bunch of these rods to cut for each individual gun along with a bullet jag on each. I also have two of these rods for range use.

Attachments

• F718BAA7-E3E6-4BD1-BA1C-8D3C92152563.jpeg
    F718BAA7-E3E6-4BD1-BA1C-8D3C92152563.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
My Traditions Tracker 209 I bought used did not have a range rod. I made one from a fiberglass reflector I bought at Home Depot. They are sold as driveway markers. I used a hack saw to cut it to length and wrapped tape on it as a handle / grip spot. I used a Dremel tool to "cup" the end that I push the ball with. They come in 1/4" and 3/8". I'm using the 3/8".

Don't slide your hands down it, you could get a splinter. I only hold mine by the tape and the ball starter I have has a hole just the right size to go over the end of the rod.

Don't leave it under the barrel when you shoot if it sticks out past the muzzle as the muzzle blast will char the rod.

While some may think they are a little too expensive, I think the best piece of kit I own is my Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies cleaning My Site

Been using aluminum rods for years myself (mostly TC rugged rods).

Recently, a knowledgeable guy told me that without a bore guide, aluminum rods can damage the crown. Anyone else worried about this?

All my range rods have bore guides. :lewis:

Recently, a knowledgeable guy told me that without a bore guide, aluminum rods can damage the crown. Anyone else worried about this?
Never used one or damaged a crown but have wondered if they are needed. Some of these bore guides look pretty hard. I think if i was to use one it would be of the brass type.

I think the issue is ~somewhat~ overblown.

Hopefully, your barrel steel is harder than the aluminum ramrod!

Granted, even wind and water can erode rock eventually, but I think some basic care to keep your ramrod centered in the bore should minimize wear issues.

That said… this week’s order from Track Of The Wolf happened to include two more of their brass ramrod guide/muzzle protectors! 😂

I tried using them and they were somewhat of a pain to use because they were not attached like the ones George shows in Post #13. Those I think would work well. I've never noticed an issue from not using one over the years.

BoreTech Part# Proof-Positive Bore Stix, 7mm - .30 Cal rod
Pro-Shot patches 3" cut to purpose of use
Pro-Shot . 50 Cal. (BMG) Rifle Brush
Montana X-treme BlackHorn 209 solvent

I bought the Lehigh Defense range rod a few years ago and I love it. Midway has them for $66.00

Back