Real black and paper patch cast bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old school long range style. What are your experiences?
FWIW
All my shooting and hunting is at close range and most is done with .52 caliber Knights. For the .52 I use a .520 grease groove mold that is weight adjustable from 300 to 600 grains. Also use Lee 515-500F with a single wrap of dollar store masking tape. It fits the .52 well, plus it's cheap, simple, quick and accurate enough for my 50-yard shots.

Powder choice depends on bullet weight: T7 for .52 bullets up to 400 grains, Pyro RS for 400-600 grains, and real black 2F and 1F for testing slugs over 600 grains (haven't hunted with these yet). I change powders with bullet weight to keep pressures reasonable and still get the highest accurate MVs. I vary powder charges from 80 to 150 grains(Volume) with all combinations.

FWIW
All my shooting and hunting is at close range and most is done with .52 caliber Knights. For the .52 I use a .520 grease groove mold that is weight adjustable from 300 to 600 grains. Also use Lee 515-500F with a single wrap of dollar store masking tape. It fits the .52 well, plus it's cheap, simple, quick and accurate enough for my 50-yard shots.

Powder choice depends on bullet weight: T7 for .52 bullets up to 400 grains, Pyro RS for 400-600 grains, and real black 2F and 1F for testing slugs over 600 grains (haven't hunted with these yet). I change powders with bullet weight to keep pressures reasonable and still get the highest accurate MVs. I vary powder charges from 80 to 150 grains(Volume) with all combinations.
A masking tape paper patch??? Does the tape come off the bullet within 6-10 feet of the muzzle? X

I really don't know. I can't remember finding any pieces on the ground. The first time I tried this, it was a "field expedient". The three test shots were accurate enough at my average 25 to 30 yard range that I just kept on using tape with this bullet.

I took a different approach with the Lee 515-500 . First I took a Lee .510 sized die and opened it up to . 512 so when paper patch with the usual double wrap I end up with .519. Have not tried these out yet but have few ready to try out.

This is it. With the lead I'm using the vullets weigh 401 grains. Mt lead is 8.5 to 9 bhn.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-161755_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-161755_Gallery.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back