Rebarreling the 10ML-II...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Just wanted to know how many have had this done? ANYONE? If so...who did the work and what were the results? I have a Savage that is either going to get rebarreled or sold or something. Just looking for suggestions... Thanks!

I know that Ron Name has rebarreled two at this time. He can give you all the info you'll need Chuck. I beleive both were 1:36 as well.

Question from a beginner...

"Rebarreling the 10ML-II "... ?

What is rebarrelling and what for ? My Savage SM10-II is all new... Not sure that I will a "rebarreling" .....

Thank you for the informations..............................Gerald............../

What is rebarrelling and what for ? My Savage SM10-II is all new... Not sure that I will a "rebarreling"

Really it's just replacing the factory barrel with a new one of higher quality. Lets say you had a rifle, ANY rifle and you were not getting the accuracy you thought you should be. One option is to have the rifle rebarreled. The vast majority of Savages do fine with their factory barrels..

I know that Ron Name has rebarreled two at this time. He can give you all the info you'll need Chuck. I beleive both were 1:36 as well.

Thanks! If all the hocus pocus doesn't work in the next few weeks doesn't work on this rifle I'm going to give them a call.

Have you checked your headspace on that HB Chuck? :roll:

...ok Smack me! I was just kidding! :poke:

ROFL!

Man you dont play fair! :wink:

I think a re-barreled 10ML would be a neat project.. maybe 2 more inches of barrel and a slower twist and I bet it would be a speed demon!

Savage Rebarreling

Is rebarreling the Sav. a good idea? Not all barrels are created equal. Would that new barrel hold up?Going with the same breech plug?Different design?What can of worms are you opening up?Is the quality proven out on the Sav. action using "thier" barrel?I would be hesitant to do so. How many of these "proven" designs are out there?I have a lot of doubts on this one.

Re: Savage Rebarreling

Tar-12 said:
Is rebarreling the Sav. a good idea? Not all barrels are created equal. Would that new barrel hold up?Going with the same breech plug?Different design?What can of worms are you opening up?Is the quality proven out on the Sav. action using "thier" barrel?I would be hesitant to do so. How many of these "proven" designs are out there?I have a lot of doubts on this one.
If a barrel/breechplug has stood the test of 21+ years of pressure and actual field testing along with a large # in use for many more years than the Savage has been being made, I believe the barrel system has been relatively well proven. What makes the 209 go off should make relatively little difference, whether it is a firing pin from a NEF, Ruger #1, of a Savage bolt action . These are just my thoughts. This is considering that the barrel being considered is the SMI barrel.

Tar-12 said:

Rick, don't get all stirred up all we're talking is a new custom barrel possibly cut out of a Douglas barrel blank maybe in a different twist. Really no can of worms to open up. :wink:

Bottom line...

What is the difference(s) between a SM10-II and a SMI ? ? ? ?

I am quite confused... What do you think ? ? ?

Thank you....................................................Gerald....../ :?: :?:

SW said:
Tar-12 said:
If a barrel/breechplug has stood the test of 21+ years of pressure and actual field testing along with a large # in use for many more years than the Savage has been being made, I believe the barrel system has been relatively well proven. What makes the 209 go off should make relatively little difference, whether it is a firing pin from a NEF, Ruger #1, of a Savage bolt action . These are just my thoughts. This is considering that the barrel being considered is the SMI barrel.
My thoughts were revolving around the SMI barrel, I did not know they existed until a short while ago. I knew that there were proven designs out there, this was one I was not familiar with. Pardon my ignorance on this one.

Tar-12 said:
My thoughts were revolving around the SMI barrel, I did not know they existed until a short while ago. I knew that there were proven designs out there, this was one I was not familiar with. Pardon my ignorance on this one.
I probably sounded like I came on too strong - sorry. With a few thousand shots over 6 yrs thru 5 different 10-MLs and ML2s, I have just been overwhelmed with the simplicity, quality, and consistent accuracy of the SMI barrel. I do think the 28" length is a part of its success. I just wouldn't alter any part of its design.

If your original barrel wont shoot accuratly, why not send it back to Savage to see if something is wrong?

Grouse said:
VLP.204 said:
If your original barrel wont shoot accuratly, why not send it back to Savage to see if something is wrong?

That's the best way to do it.

If your 'vette isn't performing the way that you think it should, would you go back to the dealer to have them work on it, or call Callaway? :wink:

Blue-Dot-37.5

Back