Rebarreling the 10ML-II...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't that be about the same as adding a SMI barrel to a Savage????? Seems to me that they both do similar things. And that is upping the performance

HighTechRedneck said:
Wouldn't that be about the same as adding a SMI barrel to a Savage????? Seems to me that they both do similar things. And that is upping the performance

Exactly my point! :wink:

HighTechRedneck said:

EXACTLY... Once you've tasted that smooth Douglas barrel you really like it!

EXACTLY... Once you've tasted that smooth Douglas barrel you really like it![/quote]
I think this is really the point. Additionally, the breechplug which is totally consistent in performance really enhances the enjoyment of shooting this barrel.

big6x6 said:
EXACTLY... Once you've tasted that smooth Douglas barrel you really like it!

I wont argue that one bit. My HB Savage has shot some groups that really cant be any better with 260 DeadCenters and 300grn XTP'S. Your HB Savage needs to see Joe. After that sell it for $1000.00 bucks and buy a different action and put an SMI Barrel on it. Just my opinion Bud. :wink:

I don't recall Chuck saying it was his HB with the problem. He said one of his Savages.

dwhunter said:
I don't recall Chuck saying it was his HB with the problem. He said one of his Savages.

Well I KNOW he's having trouble with his HB. He may be having another Savage having trouble too. That I don't know.

Patrick White said:
dwhunter said:

Well I KNOW he's having trouble with his HB. He may be having another Savage having trouble too. That I don't know.

Then I definitely would rebarrel with a Douglas and not fool around with another Savage barrel.

dwhunter said:
Then I definitely would rebarrel with a Douglas and not fool around with another Savage barrel.

Rebarreling a HB Savage could be difficult. You have the third pillar and the bedding to worry about. Maybe that's not a problem??? I really dont know. It just seems like it would be.

Grouse said:
dwhunter said:

Rebarreling a HB Savage could be difficult. You have the third pillar and the bedding to worry about. Maybe that's not a problem??? I really dont know. It just seems like it would be.

I bet Ron and Joe Name could handle that easy. The third pillar would have to be added but the action is the only thing bedded so it wouldn't have anything to do with the barrel. :wink:

Though it must be obvious, by now, that I believe the SMI barrel/breechplug performs extremely well, I believe the Savage can and will shoot MOA fairly easily. The breechplug design is a major source of inconsistency. The fouling of the interior and the slow changing of the ventliner combine to give problems for many of us. That big air space between the ventliner and 209 holder causes the problem IMO. If the ventliner could be placed(and it can and has) near the 209 holder with an open space forward of the ventliner going up into the barrel much of this problem would lessen. Every other breechplug I have seen -not a large #, including the SMI, has this design. They don't foul. The Savage breechplug does. I think the Savage breechplug likely has a built-in safety factor by its design but it does hurt performance IMO. I would really make certain that the breechplug isn't the accuracy problem before doing anything else. I believe the Savage would shoot 250 and 300g bullets better with a slower twist, a non-fouling breechplug, and a longer barrel.

SW said:
I believe the Savage would shoot 250 and 300g bullets better with a slower twist, a non-fouling breechplug, and a longer barrel.

Better????Longer Barrel doesnt create accuracy. Maybe higher velocity, but not accuracy. When a Savage can punch out holes what could be better? Kristels Savage punches holes. Four or five guys watched me punch out 5 holes in crossville. There are people having great success with the Savage. RW claims to have 3 or 4 bullets that are sub 3/4" loads. For the money the Savage is a great gun. Custom guns are custom guns. The Savage is a very accurate Rifle out of the box. The Breech plug is the weak link. But, in a Hunting situation it is not. Drill it out every 25 shot's and no problems. Of course different powders are different results as well on the Breech plug.

I plan on getting a SMI Barrel for my Encore soon. In know way do i expect it to out shoot my Savage. :wink:

Grouse said:
SW said:
I believe the Savage would shoot 250 and 300g bullets better with a slower twist, a non-fouling breechplug, and a longer barrel.

Better????Longer Barrel doesnt create accuracy. Maybe higher velocity, but not accuracy. When a Savage can punch out holes what could be better? Kristels Savage punches holes. Four or five guys watched me punch out 5 holes in crossville. There are people having great success with the Savage. RW claims to have 3 or 4 bullets that are sub 3/4" loads. For the money the Savage is a great gun. Custom guns are custom guns. The Savage is a very accurate Rifle out of the box. The Breech plug is the weak link. But, in a Hunting situation it is not. Drill it out every 25 shot's and no problems. Of course different powders are different results as well on the Breech plug.

Tom,
Better isn't just accuracy, it's consistency shot after shot, ease of working up a load, accuracy, etc. Of course a longer barrel isn't inherently more accurate, but in the case of a smokeless MLer, it does allow the use of slightly slower powder for a given velocity/bullet which is a plus IMO. I have shoot the 10-MLs for appx 6 yrs, and I have had great success also; yet, the SMI has seemed to be less problematic to me. I intended no offence.
SW

I plan on getting a SMI Barrel for my Encore soon. In know way do i expect it to out shoot my Savage. :wink:

I always wondered how a really good barrel would shoot on a 10MLII. Maybe not enough to justify the extra cost, but a barrel without those radial machine marks would be nice.

Rifleman said:
I always wondered how a really good barrel would shoot on a 10MLII. Maybe not enough to justify the extra cost, but a barrel without those radial machine marks would be nice.

Does the action control accuracy? Would an SMI Barrel be more accurate on a Savage then an Encore? Or would they be the same?

Grouse said:
Does the action control accuracy?

It is a vital component without question. In any rifle, in any discipline where allowed, bolt actions are far superior to break-action anythings in terms of accuracy-- that has been established for a long, long time. They are automatically superior in the field, particularly in off-hand shooting compared to hammer guns due to locktime.

That out course is academic as far as big game hunting. 3/4 MOA, 1 MOA, 1-1/4 MOA-- that's all the accuracy that can be used in the field inside 200 yards on big game. The rest is just for kicks and grins.

You may not agree with all that Chuck Hawks has to say on the matter,
http://www.chuckhawks.com/practical_accuracy.htm - - -

but, sooner or later it does make a bit of sense to define your own needs as a hunter, if indeed you feel that you really are a big game hunter rather than an NRA High-Power Champion.

Latest posts

Back