Recovered Barnes T-EZ 250 gr. Bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well maybe. But we will never know for sure but I do know for sure that the exit side of the animals I've sent a Barnes through assures me that they expanded a good bit. The Barnes exits sure don't resemble the for sure pencil exits I experienced with Powerbelts.

Thats the dealeo with long range shots and pointy Barnes. Guys shooting upper end loads should be fine. Guys shooting 2 pellets and the occasional 200yrd Hail Mary are in for a rude awakening. Expander MZ with that huge open HP...no problem....Spitefire MZ with the dinky little HP because it flies better.....Good Luck.

I see this all the time guys shooting a relatively weak 2 pellet load and a tipped Barnes. It does nothing for them but look cool. They just dont generate enough velocity to make use of any increase in BC you get from that poly tip. The only thing that tip is doing with loads like that is slowing down how fast it expands.

Does the Monoflex sabot load as easy as the TEZ sabot in tight bores?
Monoflex uses the MMP 3 petal EZ load sabot just like the rest of the SST lineup. The TEZ is the HPH-24 sabot which is a larger loaded OD. So just swap sabots if needed.

The TEZ and the MonoFlex are both great in-line bullets for deer hunting. Don’t think you can go wrong with either.
I have yet to recover a TEZ bullet, but then I have only been using them a couple of years.
I hunt with a buddy who uses the MonoFlex pushed by 100 gr volume of BH209. Performance on deer is incredible. Bone, no problem.
I like to push the TEZ’s a little faster to help ensure expansion.

Any you do recover will have expanded. The others might have penciled thru. ;)
Been thinking on this a lot. My experience early on with Barnes were in fact the MZ wide throat bullet. Latter on I switched to the Tipped EZ bullets. I guess I bought into that streamed line and flatter sales pitch. Most of my shots are in the 40 to 80 yard zone so I think bullet performance isn't an issue with 70-100 gr by vol of BH209.

The longest shot I have ever attempted was a ranged 154 yards with a Tipped 250gr Thor. That deer left the field and I finally found one little speck of blood where he entered the woods. I was lucky when I looked into the woods and he was laying there dead about 5 steps away with a perfect double lung hit. He had made it a total of maybe 30 yards.

I believe you explained the lack of blood trail on that experience and I thank you!!

I use a max charge of 84 gr. weighted of Blackhorn 209 in my Omega. I’ve had nothing but great results with Barnes in mine. I change out the sabot to a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. I’ll continue to shoot them. I have several kills over 150 yards with that setup.

Back