Removing Crud ring in the field

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaguru

Reaction score
Normally I would do a "wet" patch and a dry patch. Just wondering if it can be removed/lessened by using a brush? One of our Optima's won't allow a fully seated loading after 2 shots.

Thanks for replies.

what powder/pellet and primer are you using ?
if you can afford to use dollar bills or $20 for cleaning patches you may want to try blackhorn 209 .

But the soot is water soluble.

One trick learned accidentally, is use a black powder cleanser on the first patch when cleaning rifles after shooting Blackhorn. The wet patch cuts the Blackhorn soot right now. Works way better than running the traditional dry patch first.

The black powder cleanser also cleans breech plugs right now, after shooting Blackhorn.

Use the smokeless solvent after using the black powder cleanser. Rifle cleaning after shooting Blackhorn becomes so much easier, much like cleaning after shooting 777.

Normally I would do a "wet" patch and a dry patch. Just wondering if it can be removed/lessened by using a brush? One of our Optima's won't allow a fully seated loading after 2 shots.

Thanks for replies.

This is my procedure... I use a slightly damp patch treated with Blue Windex. I I have to emphasize 'slightly damp' and when you reach the "Crud Ring" near the bottom of the barrel then use very short repetitive strokes until you go through the ring.

I do not use a dry patch at all. The ammonia in the Windex combined with the warm barrel aids the rapid drying of the dampness that remails in the barrel.

WinPatch.jpg

A big help in clearing and defeating the 'crud ring' - do not use any petroleum products in the bore -Synthetic Oils only.

Last edited:
I discovered that same cleaning process by mistake this past weekend! Cleanup in my Knights was so much easier!
John

The ease of cleaning Blackhorn using black powder cleaner is utterly amazing. The accidental discovery was quite a surprise. All because Blackhorn isn't easily found, and is a way too spendy.

If you are using a regular 209 primer I suggest a switch to a muzzleloading specific primer. The change in the amount of the crud ring is significant in my optima using T7 or White Hot pellets when I switched to the Winchester T7 muzzleloading 209 primer.

Another potential place that may help is switching sabots. I notice a significant difference on second shot seating difficulty between T/C and Harvester crush rib sabots.

In my optima with regular W209’s it’s about 3 shots with crush rib sabots. I have went as far as 7 shots using the T7 209 primer.

I do carry patches dampened with windex to patch if needed.

IF you are going to switch to the weaker primers and are using T7 propellants In cold weather I suggest you hit the range beforehand in cold weather to be sure the primers will reliably ignite the charge. Before I switch to BH209 powder I shot T7 in both pellet and granular form and used the weaker primers to try and get away from the crud ring and experience several hang/mis-fires when the temps went below 25 degrees. Going back to standard primers alleviated the issue.

After 2 shots - afield?
What are you hunting?
We are hunting deer. We are allowed to shoot 2 deer a day. Where we hunt there is a pasture about 100 yds by 150 yds that we set up in a large hickory tree. We have shot quite a few doubles in this field with both MZ and modern rifle. After shooting 2 deer, we will not go to the downed deer with an empty rifle. Hence the original question. Attaching a couple pics of doubles.

Now back to the original question. As stated normally use wet dry patch but interested to find out if a bore brush will remove the crud ring. Thanks for all that replied.

Attachments

• IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    561.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20191122_174429.jpg
    IMG_20191122_174429.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
We are hunting deer. We are allowed to shoot 2 deer a day. Where we hunt there is a pasture about 100 yds by 150 yds that we set up in a large hickory tree. We have shot quite a few doubles in this field with both MZ and modern rifle. After shooting 2 deer, we will not go to the downed deer with an empty rifle. Hence the original question. Attaching a couple pics of doubles.

Now back to the original question. As stated normally use wet dry patch but interested to find out if a bore brush will remove the crud ring. Thanks for all that replied.
A brush will take down the crud ring, to me tho, it seems easier to just hit it with a spit patch. Especially in the field, already having the jag on the ram rod, not having to put on a brush, just spit on the patch and put it on the rod. Takes all of 7 seconds. Now paying 3 times as much for powder (bh209) has allowed me to shave that 7 seconds off my reloading time.
:elmer::dance:

I was getting a horrible crud ring using #11 caps, always heard it shouldn't happen with a weaker primer. Eventually I changed the oil I was using in the bore and the issued resolved itself. You might want to try a fully synthetic oil if you aren't already using one.

Latest posts

Back