Rice .45 Cal targets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
I bought a Rice 1:20 Twist “Drop in” Barrel awhile back, here is 2 Targets i shot with it, This Barrel REALLY shoots! From my Grease Groove bullets to my Paper Patch, and so far it is not finicky in the least, i have even shot little 250 Grain .45 Colt Pistol bullets extremely well in this Barrel. These were 5 Shot Groups, And shot at the Same Sandpit as in my Videos 

y2TvjCXm.jpg

LUxI5qBm.jpg

zhWZ2jzl.jpg

w9C16Mbl.jpg

Very nice range report Idaholewis. :Red tup:

I'm a big fan of .45 MlersDo you find .50 caliber wool felt preferred over .45 felts in a .45 bore :?:

Marty said:
Very nice range report Idaholewis. :Red tup:

I'm a big fan of .45 MlersDo you find .50 caliber wool felt preferred over .45 felts in a .45 bore :?:
Thank you Marty! My 3 .45s are my absolute Favorite rifles, and range in Twist from 1:18, 1:20, and 1:30, they are EXTREMELY versatile in these fast Twist Bullet Barrels (Green Mountain “Drop ins” And Rice “Drop ins” For the TC Renegade, and TC .54 Hawkens) It is a Shame That Green Mountain quit making their LRH line of Barrels. I shoot bullets as small as 188 Grains, and all the way up to 543 Grains in these .45s

I do prefer the .50 Cal 1/8” Felt in all 3 of my .45 Bores, But in all fairness the .45 Felt is very good as well, I just feel the extra Diameter Wool helps to creat a better Seal behind the Bullet, And protect the Bullet base that much better, And being Wool it is Easy to Get the larger .50 Cal Wool Felt Down the .45 Bores, I do this almost exclusively. 

This is my Smallest .45 Cal Bullet, it weighs in at 188 Grains. I am gonna try this little bullet in my New .45 Cal 1:66 Twist CVA Mountain Rifle when it gets here, I can’t see why it wouldn’t shoot these ok? Only 1 way to find out :D These are actually .45 Colt Pistol bullets from a 2 Cavity mold i have
J303f1mm.jpg

wow where in the heck... or when in the heck, did Rice make a 1:20 twist barrel! I have never heard of them doing those fast twists, always see their slow twist barrels advertised. Beautiful group! Careful though.. Shooting like that all of the time gets boring. <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> Reason I got rid of the inlines lol.

FrontierGander said:
wow where in the heck... or when in the heck, did Rice make a 1:20 twist barrel!  I have never heard of them doing  those fast twists, always see their slow twist barrels advertised. Beautiful group! Careful though.. Shooting like that all of the time gets boring. <a href='/tags/1' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #1'>#1</a> Reason I got rid of the inlines lol.
It’s kinda funny how i ended up with this Barrel. A new guy showed up on another Forum and his very first post was looking to Sell his new .451 Rice “Drop in” Barrel. I knew about them, in fact he had Dug up an Old thread of Mine where i was talking about them and that is where he posted it for Sale, with his Phone # and all, I seen it before The Mods Got rid of it, I contacted the Guy and talked to him about it. 

First off, these Rice “Drop in” Barrels are Expensive in my opinion, and they Come in the White, and No Ramrod (GM Drop in Barrels Came Nicely Blued, and with a Ramrod) I looked in to having Rice build my Fast Twist 36 Cal, but after being quoted 400 Bucks in the White :shock:  I decided to go elsewhere.

Anyway, I contacted this young man about his .45 Cal 1:20 Twist, He was very honest in the fact that he just couldn’t get interested in Shooting Bullets, He is a Dedicated Patched Roundball Shooter. His reasoning for having this Barrel built was a Special season in Tennessee where he could use a Scope, So he had a Custom Picatinny Rail made, Rice Drilled and tapped the 4 Holes and he Mounted a Scope on it (The Barrel was mounted in a TC Renegade) It looked Goofy as to be expected. But he Did Kill a Very Nice Buck with it that year at 200 yards, But again He just couldn’t get the “Bullet Bug” So He wanted rid of the Barrel, and To go back to his Patched Roundball. He had also had this Rice “Drop in” Barrel Professionally Blued (Which was another 150 bucks!) in the end with everything done, He was in this Barrel for 550-600 Bucks, thats no Joke! I ended up Giving him 400 For it. He, and his father are Sass members and shoot old original Colts, So i knew he understood Blackpowder and cleaning after it EXTREMELY well, He told me this Rice Barrel had been Shot less that 40 Bullets, Enough to Dial it in, And practice 200-300 yards a little bit, And that was all this Barrel had been shot, He promised it looked Brand New. He was Spot On! 

Here is what it looked like when Dustin had it on his Renegade (Fugly!)
TrzjQjol.jpg

And the Deer he killed with it at 200 Yards
jw3VtQyl.jpg

He and i stay in regular contact, he sent me this picture a month or so ago of his Buck this year, This Rifle is his Dad’s, it is a .54 Cal Roundball Gun, with a Colerain Barrel, I don’t know any other Details on it? He got a Nice Buck that’s for sure!! And a Cool Looking Rifle!

t3Vfomvl.jpg

Latest posts

Back