Sabot and Bullet combos for knight LRH?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fisher2072

Reaction score
I took out my knight LRH today to shoot it for the first time since picking it up on the classifieds a few weeks back. All shots were using BH209 and Winchester primers in the NON-FPJ breach plug. Started with 100 gr volume BH and knight 260gr lead HP bullets with supplied knight sabots. Shot decent, got it sighted in at 100yds with this load just under 2" groups. Tried a 110gr load with harvestor 300gr PT Gold and supplied CR sabot. It loaded way to easy and resulted in hangfire/fizzle with bullet barely leaving muzzle. Then tried PR Bullet 260Gr extreme elite with supplied sabot to get a delayed fire, but it least this one shot. This laded easy also, but not as easy as the harvestor combo. The bore in this gun needs a thicker sabot for the loads to get consitent ignition with BH209. Any suggestions? What works for everyone else shooting a Knight LRH?

I use the Harvestor Red Crush Rib sabots when I shoot 45 cal bullets in my Knight Elite. My bore size is large as well. With the RCR sabots the rifle goes of every time with BH209. I also had to use the MMP Blue 40X50 sabot when shooting 40 cal. bullets. I had hangfires with Harvestors looser fitting 40X50 sabot. What is nice is that we all kinds of sabot choices now.

A Parker 250gr/275gr Ballistic Extreme in a short black MMP sabot should do the trick!

I do not have any problems using the dead centers with bh209. you also might want to try T7 fffg I get the same POI using either bh209 fffg T7. I have been going back and forth with both powders latley.

I was having hang fires with 300 grain scorpion harvesters and crushed rib sabots using 100 grains of BH 209. Thinking that the crushed rib wasn't sealing tight enough, and more powder might help, I increased the charge to 110 grains. No more hang fires and consistent 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.
This was in a new disc extreme. Hope this helps.

I tried with 100gr, and 120gr of BH209. Didn't make any difference with the hanfire! I ordered some red CR harvesters today, i'll give them a try.

I had h a few hangfires with 110 gr BH209 and the 260Harvester PT bullet /Crush rib sabots using Winchester primers, so I switched to CCI mag. No more hangfires as of yet. The load was alittle loose so I have gotten some red crush rib sabots and also some short Harvester sabots to see how they work. I also plan on trying some Barnes TMZ. They work great in my T/C B.C. I think the CCI mag or Federal 209A is probably a better choice than Winchester in the Knights, at least when I talked to the Western powders guys, that's what they recommended. Some people are also getting good results with Remington STS primers. I think the key in the Knights is a tight fit with hot primers. What I don't like about the Knight is the blowback in the receiver.

Latest posts

Back