Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's sabots should not be lubed. They simply do not require it.

But don't you get sick of having to clean every couple of shots just so you can load?

I use BH209 powder and I don't have any need to clean anything between shots. If you're using T7 powder anything with a 209 primer you're going to have to learn to live with cleaning between shots. I'm not sure what issues what real black or Pyrodex will have regarding the need to clean between shots but BH209 liberates anyone using it from all the hassles other powders have between shots. The only thing I need to clean while shooting is the carbon from the flash channel of the breech plug every 15 or so shots but that will have to be done using any primer or powder.

If you're shooting an actual cartridge, you won't be using 209 primers and will have no need to clean a plug, but I can't imagine that any powder other than the BH209 being any cleaner than it and can leave you with the same mess that you'd have in a 209 gun.

Last edited:
I use BH209 powder and I don't have any need to clean anything between shots. If you're using T7 powder anything with a 209 primer you're going to have to learn to live with cleaning between shots. I'm not sure what issues what real black or Pyrodex will have regarding the need to clean between shots but BH209 liberates anyone using it from all the hassles other powders have between shots. The only thing I need to clean while shooting is the carbon from the flash channel of the breech plug every 15 or so shots but that will have to be done using any primer or powder.
Well my experience so far on using BH is the sabot is still really hard to push down the barrel...I was just seeing if anyone has experimented with it

Dont you guys remember using real black with a PRB????????? What muzzle loading used to be????? Don't know about you but I cleaned between every shot. Throw my gun over my shoulder, point it down so all the crap would fall out instead of down the barrel. Swab it a few times and load it up again. Every time.

If I want easy shooting I have modern rifles for that.

Never had to lube a sabot with BH209 and ive fired well over 40 shots in a row.

BTW moving this to a more appropriate section. Its not a cartridge topic.

No, never have. Have switched to a smaller sabot when they feel too tight. Blackhorn seems to be a lubricant in a way, and succeeding loads kinda seem easier.

What has been great fun here lately, is eliminating the sabot, and shooting 45 caliber bullets in a 45 caliber rifle. Easy to do using an adjustable sizing die, an excuse to shoot more for to learn more stuff.

Well my experience so far on using BH is the sabot is still really hard to push down the barrel...I was just seeing if anyone has experimented with it
If the sabot is too hard to push then your using the wrong sized sabot. My CVA Accura uses a Harvester black crush rib. I tried the standard black and they were too tight.

If the sabot is too hard to push then your using the wrong sized sabot. My CVA Accura uses a Harvester black crush rib. I tried the standard black and they were too tight.
I am using a .400 155gr bullet and a mmp .400 blue sabot

How many of you lube your sabots??
I've only been into sabots for a yr at most, but I've shot a bunch in this last yr. I couldn't imagine havin to lube my sabots. Size your bullet correctly with the right dia sabots to match your bore dia & there will never be a need to do that. I can shoot all afternoon long with BH 209 & sabots & not need to swab or bore brush a single time. Perhaps invest in a dial caliper, measure your bore & bullets & sabot OD with bullet or just measure the sabot wall thickness then a lil math. Maybe an adj bullet sizer would be in order.

I've only been into sabots for a yr at most, but I've shot a bunch in this last yr. I couldn't imagine havin to lube my sabots. Size your bullet correctly with the right dia sabots to match your bore dia & there will never be a need to do that. I can shoot all afternoon long with BH 209 & sabots & not need to swab or bore brush a single time. Perhaps invest in a dial caliper, measure your bore & bullets & sabot OD with bullet or just measure the sabot wall thickness then a lil math. Maybe an adj bullet sizer would be in order.
Well from what I can find you get the bullet diameter you get a sabot to go from that to what caliber of gun you have

Back