Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I’m fishing, hunting, or shooting, (fun time) I usually have a dip of Copenhagen brewing. I’m shooting HCR light blue 40-45 with 40 cal fury’s. They are very, very tight, even after 3 shots. I don’t have a 40 cal sizer. So I give the sabot petals a wet kiss. It makes for easier loading.

If your not using a short starter, then try it . Quite a bit easier than starting with the ramrod.

I have limited experience, but when I switched over to harvestor sabots, after trying T/C sabots - powerbelts - and hornady, both my accuracy and loading ease went way up. Up to 5 or 6 shots with white hots before patching.

If I use anything it will be saliva but it seems BH209 residue serves as a lube because it is never hard to push the next Hornady 250SST down the barrel after 15-20 shots.

Well my experience so far on using BH is the sabot is still really hard to push down the barrel...I was just seeing if anyone has experimented with it
You need to go to a smaller diameter sabot.

Dont you guys remember using real black with a PRB????????? What muzzle loading used to be????? Don't know about you but I cleaned between every shot. Throw my gun over my shoulder, point it down so all the crap would fall out instead of down the barrel. Swab it a few times and load it up again. Every time.

If I want easy shooting I have modern rifles for that.
I only ran a cleaning jag and patch down my Hawken barrel about every other shot. That was ok for a year or 2.

Last edited:
I use Harvester green sabots for 50cal and they fit 44mags. These things just go down my barrel with just one finger pressure. Clean up is very easy. I use T7/fff (75grs), #11 primers and 240gr bullets.

Just ordered 100 more Harvester crusted rib sabots. Now I need more XTP's only have 12 left. :elmer:

Just ordered 100 more Harvester crusted rib sabots. Now I need more XTP's only have 12 left. :elmer:
I just ordered the extreme defender .452 135gr
Last night with the harvester crush rib sabot...going to see how they do

I never shoot more than 200 yards at range. Most of the time I shoot at 100 yards and my two Whitelightings will shoot 1" groups. Have to color my bulls with red or green as I cannot see black any more, I have very bad eye sight.

I never shoot more than 200 yards at range. Most of the time I shoot at 100 yards and my two Whitelightings will shoot 1" groups. Have to color my bulls with red or green as I cannot see black any more, I have very bad eye sight.
I just got back into shooting with a rifle o have shoulder problems so I have been using a pistol for the past couple of years..I have been working on a load for the rifle

I also have shoulder problems. I've found the lighter the bullet the less recoil. I have had great luck using 200gr XTP's with Harvester sabots and 75grs of T7/fff.

I just ordered the extreme defender .452 135gr
Last night with the harvester crush rib sabot...going to see how they do
That should be interesting with that light of a bullet. Did you order the short sabot for bullets under 300 gr?

I am not going over 155gr bullets
Then chances are you wont have a bullet suitable for hunting anything larger than a coyote. There are a few 180gr bullets in 40 and 45 that will get it done but the lighter bullets are not constructed very tough. They are for pistol speeds and defense purposes.

Latest posts

Back