Savage 110 Wolverine 450 Bushmaster Finish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read a lot of differing opinions as to what the finish is on the Savage 110 Wolverine in 450 Bushmaster. The opinion that seems to be most prevalent is nitride or melonite. Does anyone know for sure what the finish is?

It certainly is not nitride or melanite.

Everything lists it as "matte black" finish. It's like a matte blue finish, or Parkerized finish.

If it were nitride or Melanite, you can bet your last dollar that they would be promoting that in the product description.

Do a Google search, and you'll realize that the finish is nothing special. If it were, they would be calling it more than just "matte black".

It certainly is not nitride or melanite.

Everything lists it as "matte black" finish. It's like a matte blue finish, or Parkerized finish.

If it were nitride or Melanite, you can bet your last dollar that they would be promoting that in the product description.

Do a Google search, and you'll realize that the finish is nothing special. If it were, they would be calling it more than just "matte black".

Yeah, I saw the the Savage website and vendors listed it as matte black, but it was the Google search that took me to a few forums where there was much speculation as to what "matte black' meant, so I thought I'd come here to ask the experts. ;-) You make a great point that Savage would likely be proclaiming the finish as nitride from the mountaintops, if that were the case.

Latest posts

Back