Savage Blow Up

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Thanks

Head Hunter said:
Thanks to all for the replies. I feel a lot more comfortable now. Of course, I just read last night on here that an Omega can obtain almost 2500 fps with the 200 grain SST - now that is very intriquing considering that my home state of Louisiana and close by cousin, Mississippi, do not allow smokeless. Something to think about while I am up here in Virginia.

Anybody smoked one with the 200 grain SST? If so, how did it perform in comparison to the 250 grain SST?

You will not get the velocities out of a Savage that you get with the Omega using Pyrodex. Truthfully, I've yet to see any muzzleloader hit the velocities an Omega will hit with three Pyrodex pellets. Maybe they are out there but I haven't seen one. If you are looking for a smokeless rifle with decent bp performance then the Savage is definately the way to go but if you are just buying a bp rifle there are are plenty of better choices out there IMHO.

Re: Thanks

sheephunterab said:
Head Hunter said:
Thanks to all for the replies. I feel a lot more comfortable now. Of course, I just read last night on here that an Omega can obtain almost 2500 fps with the 200 grain SST - now that is very intriquing considering that my home state of Louisiana and close by cousin, Mississippi, do not allow smokeless. Something to think about while I am up here in Virginia.

Anybody smoked one with the 200 grain SST? If so, how did it perform in comparison to the 250 grain SST?

You will not get the velocities out of a Savage that you get with the Omega using Pyrodex. Truthfully, I've yet to see any muzzleloader hit the velocities an Omega will hit with three Pyrodex pellets. Maybe they are out there but I haven't seen one. If you are looking for a smokeless rifle with decent bp performance then the Savage is definately the way to go but if you are just buying a bp rifle there are are plenty of better choices out there IMHO.
I wonder if the effective barrel length of the Omega, slower twist, and possibly the breechplug design all contribute to the faster velocity of the Omega and other rifles with the same characteristics. An interesting comparison would be with the 28" barreled SMI with its slow twist(36) and very efficient breechplug. It could well be faster than the Omega AND have the advantage of smokeless and likely a stronger design.

The point is that I have seen many pics on the web of Ka-Booms of many good firearms, Ruger, S&W, ect. When someone makes a mistake with what is loaded in it (ex: double charged reloads) bad things can happen. But that has still not discouraged myself from purchasing these brands. I think it has been well stated above. Rest easy, pay attention to what you are doing when shooting any muzzleloader, and follow recommended loads and you will have years of enjoyable shooting.

mkf350 said:
The point is that I have seen many pics on the web of Ka-Booms of many good firearms, Ruger, S&W, ect. When someone makes a mistake with what is loaded in it (ex: double charged reloads) bad things can happen. But that has still not discouraged myself from purchasing these brands. I think it has been well stated above. Rest easy, pay attention to what you are doing when shooting any muzzleloader, and follow recommended loads and you will have years of enjoyable shooting.

This was the main theme of this thread, thanks for getting us back on track.... Just Remember...Savage 10-ML-II Safe, sensible performance!!!

IndianaHunter said:
mkf350 said:

This was the main theme of this thread, thanks for getting us back on track.... Just Remember...Savage 10-ML-II Safe, sensible performance!!!

Without the smoke! :wink:

dwhunter said:
IndianaHunter said:
mkf350 said:

:poke: You do not like Sav. do you Darrel?

Tar-12 said:
dwhunter said:
IndianaHunter said:
mkf350 said:

Ah heck does it show that much? :lol: I think you and I have talked enough to know that we think alike on the subject. :wink:

sheephunterab said:
but can also shoot the dirty stuff like the Omega

Not as well it can't!

I agree 100% The Savage is for Smokeless. No way would i use one for 777 or Pyrodex. The Disc Elite, or the Encore would be alot better choices. The Disc Elite is the best Deal in Muzzleloader land in my opinion right now.

Hey Sheep, The Savage can get to 2500fps alot cheaper then the Omega. :wink:

Hey Sheep, The Savage can get to 2500fps alot cheaper then the Omega.

I won't argue with you there Tom! But at least I see what I'm getting for my money...that beautiful puff of smoke. LOL Just kidding!

Head Hunter,

Smokeless in a muzzleloader is not legal in MS during the primitive weapon season, but you can use it during the regular gun season. They did allow smokeless in a metallic cartridge this year in replicas. This should open the way for smokeless in a muzzleloader very soon.

I don't know about the regs in LA, but I try to stay up with MS regulations concerning smokeless in muzzleloaders. I've never been checked to see which powder I was shooting. :wink:

I think I made a sale for Savage last weekend when I killed a doe with the Savage and smokeless and a friend missed a doe with a Knight and T7. He spent a long time cleaning his gun while I just ran a dry patch through mine and was ready to go again. He wanted a lot of information after that.

black3

I havent shot pyrodex in my MLII but it states right in the manual it can be used with pyrodex OR black powder and give outstanding performance-you dont have to limit yourself to smokeless powder when the savage will shoot black, pyro and smokeless- with the omega its the dirty only. seems like this being the smokeless board there are always a couple guys that dont like being smokeless... :huh?: -Getonit-

dwhunter said:
Tar-12 said:
dwhunter said:
IndianaHunter said:
mkf350 said:

Ah heck does it show that much? :lol: I think you and I have talked enough to know that we think alike on the subject. :wink:

oops...................

i have to make a respectful clarification to a post in this thread. modern smokeless powder is absolutely, positively, illegal for use during primitive weapons season in Mississippi.

http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife/pd ... eapons.pdf

you can use a savage smokeless muzzleloader during the normal rifle season, but then you could just use a savage .30-06 as well. :)

i had to make sure because, if i was wrong and smokeless powder was legal here during primitive weapons season, i'd have a savage already. :D

n8dawg6 said:
i have to make a respectful clarification to a post in this thread. modern smokeless powder is absolutely, positively, illegal for use during primitive weapons season in Mississippi.

you can use a savage smokeless muzzleloader during the normal rifle season, but then you could just use a savage .30-06 as well. :)

i had to make sure because, if i was wrong and smokeless powder was legal here during primitive weapons season, i'd have a savage already. :D

As long as your preloaders have pydrodex or t7 in them nobody knows what the "first" shot is. :lol:

n8dawg6 said:

209 primer and BP substitutes are far from primitive. :? You might as well use Smokeless. :)

grouse . . . you are definitely onto something. :D

that's why i am taking on a new challenge this year and handicapping myself by purchasing a completely obsolete knight mk-85 that uses . . . gasp . . . #11 caps. i will don some buckskins to match the antique rifle. :D

dwhunter,

I can identify with the Pyrodex in the speed loader system. :D Works for me!

black3

n8dawg6 said:

Not true at all according to the MS DNR.

Not only is modern smokeless legal in the "primitive" season, modern smokeless CARTRIDGES (including .30-06) are NOW LEGAL in single shot rifles, not of older date of manufacture, but of older design including an H & R Handi-Rifle with off-the-rack smokeless cartridges.

dwhunter said:
As long as your preloaders have pydrodex or t7 in them nobody knows what the "first" shot is. :lol:

Oh so true.

Black3 and I obviously share your sentiments.

my statement was meant to refer to using smokeless propellant in muzzleloading firearms. i specifically had in mind the savage. my information comes from public notice le4-2280, paragraphs 4 and 5, which is in the link i provided. until the legislature or the agency states otherwise, this reg. is the law in effect in Mississippi.

"muzzleloading" firearms may not use "modern smokeless" propellant, it is specifically excluded. which means that the savage muzzleloader is excluded (if using "modern smokeless" powder as a propellant).

while it appears that you may use smokeless powder cartridges in a breech-loading pre-1900 design rifle, or replica thereof, it must be of at least .38 caliber, which excludes a .30-06.

these restrictions apply only to the primitive seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back