Savage ML10-II pretty much Sucks!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for all the offers to take the recalcitrant Savage off my hand. It appears it will not be necessary for me to take my Savage fishing.

I got my order today and in the midst of a pouring rain I was able to get the old girl to fire 10 out of 10 tries.

I'm pretty happy about that!! I used 43 grains of N110 with a MMP short sabot and a 250 gr XTP with a win 209. All I can do is wait for it to stop raining.

Again, thanks to everyone for the info and loads provided....I think I will be ready for ML season next week!!

Randy....you were right!! It was probably the sabot or the powder or the bullet ...anyway... it seems to work just fine now!! Thanks!! BTW, the Hornady sabots look just like the MMP High Presssure...they just don't have the "8" imprinted in the base.

Gnetlemen,

It finally stopped raining and I took 31 shots downrange (42gr N110, 250 XTP, black short MMP and a win 209) today and all of them went boom. Seven 3 shot groups at 100 yds averaged 1.2" and I couldn't be happier!! I had one group that is was difficult to see the three shots in the one hole!!

I really appreciate the encourgement you guys provided me and I would say that it was worth all the work to get groups like that.

One last question...I sighted in about 4" high at 100 yds because that's how I did my slug gun and I think they will have about the same trajectory. Does that sound right for dead on hold to 200 yds? I can only shoot a 100 yds or so at the house.

3" high at 100 should get you a MPBR of 190 or so, you'll have to shoot to confirm where you are beyond that to be sure.

Shot a 110 lb doe at dusk tonight. She was about 40 yds out walking in front of me and I hit her high in the right shoulder and the 250 gr XTP took out the lungs, her ribs on the left side and broke open her belly and left a ragged 4" exit hole!! That was clearly extreme terminal performance!!!! Surprisingly, very little meat was lost, but if I had shot across the body, I would have lost the entire off side shoulder. I think I will look for another bullet after early ML season is over or slow down the load a bit.

I have used .429, 240 gr XTPs in my 44 Mag and had good luck with it at about 1500 fps out of my Marlin 1894. The velocity I'm getting out of the Savage is probably over 2000 fps and it may be a little too much velocity.

Anyway, the Savage worked just fine and the boys down at the soup kitchen have fresh venison tonight.

Again, thanks for the encourgment and all the info on getting the ML10 workin the way it should!!

Well, this came a looooong way in a hurry fron the original "Savage ML10-II pretty much Sucks!!" and your original tomato stake option.

I'm glad it sucks a lot less . . . :wink:

Another doe fell tonight. 130 yards same 250 gr XTP and the off side shoulder was blown to hell. I think I'm shooting little deer with a big deer bullet. It was not at bang flop, but close. She was hit in the ribs and it blew out her heart and lungs. 3 hops and nosed in.

I really feel this thing is too distructive on 100 pound deer. Any similar problem?

Lowrider49 said:
Another doe fell tonight. 130 yards same 250 gr XTP and the off side shoulder was blown to hell. I think I'm shooting little deer with a big deer bullet. It was not at bang flop, but close. She was hit in the ribs and it blew out her heart and lungs. 3 hops and nosed in.

I really feel this thing is too distructive on 100 pound deer. Any similar problem?

Try the SST, I don't think you'll tear up near as much meat. :wink:

250 SST works great for me. Not nearly as big a hole coming out and kills 'em dead and quick. So far this year 4 deer taken between 70 and 120 yds and the one that went the farthest went 30-40 yards.

Gentlemen.

I'll try SSTs and see how they work, but i don't have time to work loads out now. I'm also going to play with some lead bullets next spring.

Thanks for the info and ............hunt safe!!!!

I use 45 grains of 4227 with 300 grain sst bullet and have never had a problem. Except for my bolt handle which just broke. Anyone know where to get a replacement?

I use 45 grains of 4227 with 300 grain sst bullet and have never had a problem. Except for my bolt handle which just broke. Anyone know where to get a replacement?
Probably find a good local welder to tig it back together. A good gunsmith ought to have the skill to fix it but they arent all good.

Forget the Wads. 5744 wont solve your problem either. To many people have been shooting the other powders with know problem at all. The bullet springing back off the charge doesnt sound cool at all. Call up Savage Arms and ask for Joe Degrande. Send the gun back and have them check it out for you. Good luck, 😉 and they will make it right for you.
Talk to Joe, He,s a good guy.

Latest posts

Back