Savage ML10-II pretty much Sucks!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowrider49 said:

http://members.aol.com/randymagic/ballltd83.htm

I don't know what a Hornady black sabot really is-- Hornady made no sabots two years ago that I am aware of.

I'm not aware of any Savage 10ML-II having a loose bore, nor is the inventor Henry Ball. It would very tough to do by pulling the same button through the barrel.

It sounds like if you throw away your old sabots, you will be throwing away your problems as well.

The new 10ML-II manual is free for the download:

http://www.savagearms.com/images/pdf/manuals/10MLII.pdf

The greasy, fine-as-froghair 2400 is not the best powder choice, and is no longer a Savage 10ML-II preferred powder.

Randy,

I just got 5 out of 8 shots to light off which is my best so far. They went into a 1" hole at about 40 yds.

Sabots are in the trash can and I'm ordering several types of new MMPs Monday morning. I'm going to try the orange ones too since I have a lot of Rem 300 gr .458 HP that I shoot in the 450 Marlin and 45-70.

Powder wise, I'll find something on the prefered list and put the 2400 away.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions and I'll let you know how it works out with new powder and sabots.

The ONLY misfires I have ever had in either of my 10Ml's when the primer actualy went off were caused by lose sabot fit. My 10 ML II doesn't like Fed 209A primers, and rarely makes them go pop, but they are the only primer I will use in my original 10 ML.

Lowrider49 said:
Also tried N110, 4198 and universal clays with just a sabot...it WILL NOT fire the powder.

Playing with sabots but no bullet probably helped give you the wrong impression. :?:

Unlike shooting out flaming pellets out of an Encore (great fun on the holidays), smokeless powder needs pressure to sustain ignition.

The amount of pressure required throughout all the barrel time varies by type of powder. A rule of thumb for single-base extruded rifle powders is 2000 PSI. If that pressure is not built and sustained, a misfire or a blooper is most always the result.

It is this property of smokeless powder that makes it safer to handle, store, and use than a explosive such as blackpowder.

If you have N110, 42 gr. by weight pushing a .452 Hornady 250 gr. XTP in a short, black current formulation MMP sabot is an excellent load.

Randy,

I'll duplicate the load in your last sentence. About how much pressure should I put on the load when I seat the bullet/sabot?

Thanks everyone!!

I see you have the 300 gr Rem bullets, with some of the orange sabots I bet you could get those to shoot well. I would recommend 55-60 grs N120 with that combo and either a Win 209 or a Fed 209a.

Lowrider49 said:
Randy,

I'll duplicate the load in your last sentence. About how much pressure should I put on the load when I seat the bullet/sabot?

I use 40 lbs.

Randy,

Just ordered AA 5744, N110, N120, AA2015, H335 and a gaggle of bullets and MMP short and HPH sabots and a bunch of bullets and sabots for my 209x45 Encore. I'm still using Winchester 209 primers.

I have confidence in your recommendations and those of others here, HOWEVER..... If this doesn't work I am visiting a 60' hole full of Rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay on a frequent basis and I will take the Savage for a one way trip.

Thanks everyone for all the info and I will advise on my results as soon as the powder and new stuff arrives.....we have fingers crossed!!

Lowrider49 said:
Randy,

Just ordered AA 5744, N110, N120, AA2015, H335 and a gaggle of bullets and MMP short and HPH sabots and a bunch of bullets and sabots for my 209x45 Encore. I'm still using Winchester 209 primers.

I have confidence in your recommendations and those of others here, HOWEVER..... If this doesn't work I am visiting a 60' hole full of Rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay on a frequent basis and I will take the Savage for a one way trip.

Well, you COULD just save the aggravation and send it to me. Every home needs as many Savage 10ML-II's as possible.

Always happy to help. :goodman:

Lowrider49 said:
Randy,

Thanks everyone for all the info and I will advise on my results as soon as the powder and new stuff arrives.....we have fingers crossed!!

Looks as if you have a LOT of work ahead of you!

It would save you a lot of range time if you just mailed the gun to me and be rid of the troublesome thang!

Good luck!

Lowrider49 said:
Either that or contact me, I have several ML's maybe we can do a trade!

Hey lowrider I have a Austin & halleck 420 I'll trade you. Like new only has 6 shots through it. [nickel barrel w/ laminated thumb hole stock]

I'd hate to see you throw away a 10mlII.

Underclocked said:
I am lost - disregard this post. I fell up again.

If ole UC is lost...Loggy is beyond being found, aka being lost also! U fell up, I fell down. :lol:

savage muzzleloader way too much trouble.

I have taken my savage bullet sprayer out many times, The absolute only primer to use for any powder/bullet combination is FEDERAL 209A, the hottest shotgun primer on the market. Even so, this rifle with smokeless powder is worst shooting rifle I have ever owned. I have not used black powder. it was not the reason I bought it. I have a few more combos to try, but I don't believe this rifle will ever hold a group tighter than 12".

I don't believe this rifle will ever hold a group tighter than 12".

I think the biggest obstacle for any new Savage owner (including myself) is to slow down and let your barrel cool off between shots. Also, new shooters need to be aware of a few chronic problems like the "too long base screw" issue. It would be easy to get frustrated, but keep reading this board and let the barrel cool down.

Re: savage muzzleloader way too much trouble.

phil929mel said:
I have taken my savage bullet sprayer out many times, The absolute only primer to use for any powder/bullet combination is FEDERAL 209A, the hottest shotgun primer on the market. Even so, this rifle with smokeless powder is worst shooting rifle I have ever owned. I have not used black powder. it was not the reason I bought it. I have a few more combos to try, but I don't believe this rifle will ever hold a group tighter than 12".

Phil, how long have had it? What model is it? What did Savage say?

Re: savage muzzleloader way too much trouble.

phil929mel said:

Why would you reccomend a primer for a gun you cant get to shoot? The Federal 209A might be the worst primer for the Savage in my opinion. What kind of Bullet, powder,ventliner, and sabot are you using in your Gun? Are you using a Scope on this Gun as well? Answer these questions and we might be able to help you out. Base screws are alway's raising a question with the Savage MuzzleLoader. :wink:

Why would you reccomend a primer for a gun you cant get to shoot?

Good question! :huh?:

I've used CCI, W-W, AND the Federal and all seem to do about the same. At least for me!

Latest posts

Back