Scale Choies for weighing 209 powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RCBS Chargemaster double check each load with a Hornady digital

Greg

Love the RCBS Chargemaster for loading SML or centerfire at home! I also have a Lyman balance beam scale that I take to the range when I build a new rifle and make up the loads as I use them. When busting a new gun's cherry I hate it when I prepared 15 tubes with a certain load and the first 2 shots are 3 inches apart @ 100. Makes the rest of them worthless. Bringing a scale to the range lets me get close on the first trip which is important since the range is 45 minutes away. I bring a cardboard box to put the scale in at the range or the wind will blow the the beam all over the place.

Last edited:
RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo.....expensive but simple to use. I would highly consider one of the Harrels or Redding 3BR types also if you wanted more speed. They are volumetric so you will still need a scale to adjust them. After that all you have to do is pull a handle once or twice to fill the drop tube.

I would imagine measures like that dont have a BH209 Volume to Weight conversions but SR4759 is close to BH209 in weight vs volume according to the Lee Dipper Chart. Its within a half grain (roughly) on the 4.3 dipper. So if the measure has 4759 listed it will get you in the ballpark.
https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/Dippers.pdf

Last edited:
Love the RCBS Chargemaster for loading SML or centerfire at home! I also have a Lyman balance beam scale that I take to the range when I build a new rifle and make up the loads as I use them. When busting a new gun's cherry I hate it when I prepared 15 tubes with a certain load and the first 2 shots are 3 inches apart @ 100. Makes the rest of them worthless. Bringing a scale to the range lets me get close on the first trip which is important since the range is 45 minutes away. I bring a cardboard box to put the scale in at the range or the wind will blow the the beam all over the place.
really like that idea

i think the redding scale would be your best choice or one like that. i have used electronic scales in the past only
to see powder variations. i also have seen older chargemaster scales read true for many years. but hand weighting
will be your best bet!

Back