Scope Preference

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preferred Power Range

• 2 x 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 x 9

• 4X fixed

• 6X fixed

• 1.5 x 6

• 2.5 x 8

• 2.5 x 10

• 3 x 12

• 4 x 16

• Not listed

• Total voters
I choose 2.5 x 8 Leupold vari-x III because it is great for PA deer hunting.

Sorry, It seems I voted twice??

Voted 2-7. I have 3-9's, 3.5-10's etc. etc., but sometimes wonder why? :lol: Seems my variables are always set on 4X-5X range. The higher powers are nice for shootin paper though.

I'm startin to save my scope boxes too Chuck. :lol: :lol:

I voted 3 -9 mainly because all but one of my scopes is 3 - 9. When hunting I set it a 4X but sometimes turn it up to get a better look. At the range I use 9X. I'm thinkng my old eyes might need more magnification for range purposes.

All my muzzleloaders and rifles have either a Zeiss 3.5x10x50 or 4.5x14x50 or a leupold in the same range.

My ML has a 1x on it, but I would really like a 1.5x6.
I like a low mount as I am a stock hugger
Redclub

I've come to the conclusion that I don't use the variable settings on my scopes less than 4x, even in the "bush" and taking running shots (which I don't do with a ML). Also, when it comes to sighting in I don't think you can have too much power when "wringing" out loads. 9x and 10x are good on the bench, but 12-16x is better. I always felt under scoped with my 2-7x on my Wolverine, thats why I voted 4-16 and recently purchased the Bushnell Elite 4-16x40. Here in Saskatchewan, shot opportunities at the big ones always seem to be long and extra scope power never seems to hurt.

DeerNut said:
I've come to the conclusion that I don't use the variable settings on my scopes less than 4x, even in the "bush" and taking running shots (which I don't do with a ML). Also, when it comes to sighting in I don't think you can have too much power when "wringing" out loads. 9x and 10x are good on the bench, but 12-16x is better. I always felt under scoped with my 2-7x on my Wolverine, thats why I voted 4-16 and recently purchased the Bushnell Elite 4-16x40. Here in Saskatchewan, shot opportunities at the big ones always seem to be long and extra scope power never seems to hurt.

I agree... 4x16 is perfect for me.

I voted 2.5 x10, but my hunting scopes are either a 2.5x8 or 3x9. I always leave my scopes on the lowest settings as most of my shots in PA and NY have been under 75 yds. I have only raised the magnification to the maximum only once in the 35 years that I have been hunting. I like the 10x only for range work in load developement but again would leave it set for 2.5 while hunting.

Ed

You know...one thing here irritates me. 148 registered users and only 23 even took part in this poll and only 14 voted in the binocular poll....If you have not voted in either poll, may I ask you WHY? I know there are more that 23 registered users that use scopes.

I like 1.5-6x for New York, and the 2.8-10x for PA. Reaon is in NY I can, with appropriate tags, shoot any deer. In PA inline season, it's doe only, and you must make sure it isn't a spike.

big6x6 said:
You know...one thing here irritates me. 148 registered users and only 23 even took part in this poll and only 14 voted in the binocular poll....If you have not voted in either poll, may I ask you WHY? I know there are more that 23 registered users that use scopes.

:D Agree Chuck! Hey, I tried to vote twice but it wouldnt leave me!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the minimum FOV a 40mm objective gives me.. . and they tend to fit the guns better without having to go to using high rings. With that in mind, I also prefer the most eye relief I can get (at least 4 inches if possible is preferred). The only one with that eye relief that I know of is the Zeiss Conquest (and constant eye relief at that!). Next in line comes the Leupold 3-9x40 with 3.7-4.7ER. If either of them made a 1-14x40 with 4 inches eye relief, rainguard, and an adjustable parallax, then I would be in heaven... but I don't think it is possible. Based on your choices, I vote for 2.5-10 as that has the most useable range I need. The other factors including price would then weigh my decision one way or the other. I don't mind giving up some power range for the other features.

I really value eye relief and look forward to trying the Zeiss this year...

I generally use a varible power scope. With my older eyes I have moved to somewhat higher magnifications. On a muzzleloader I was bench testing I have a 6.5 to 20 power. It is a Savage smokeless. I didn't get around to removing it before season back to a 2.5x10 but the higher magnification scope served me well this past season. I hunt out of a fixed stand however.

Just got the conquest 3.5x10x44mm looks real good amazing optics nice to look through and tracks very good. Elmer

Latest posts

Back