Scope Preference

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preferred Power Range

• 2 x 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 x 9

• 4X fixed

• 6X fixed

• 1.5 x 6

• 2.5 x 8

• 2.5 x 10

• 3 x 12

• 4 x 16

• Not listed

• Total voters
I just put a 3-9X40 Sightron on my Knight Wolverine II and I can not tell you how impressed I am with this scope. When I was at a little gun shop Monday and talking to the owner there, I told him about the Sightron scope I just mounted. He then told me they were a very poor quality scope in his opinion. Oh well, never fails. I based my purchase though on some people's recommendations that I value very highly here on these muzzleloading chat forums so I guess time will tell....about the scope that is. :D

I am new to inlines having only purchased my knight Bighorn about a year ago. All I had to mount on it was an old redfield 2-7. I am certainly not new to shooting since I have been hunting since 1955 and muzzleloader hunting (flintlock) since the 70s. Now all this does not make me any kind of expert but that Redfield is set on 7 power and stays there. Some say they can't pick a deer out of the brush on higher powers but I found I can pick a hole in the brush better with a higher power scope than a low power one. I have several modern rifles one topped by a 4-12 Bushnell elite another with a bushnell 6-18. I do not hunt with it on 18 power but spot with it while on stand when I see a deer.

A 3x9 Tasco sets on my Knight at this moment, not to say that's the final one to be on it. It will be there 'till deer seasons over, then we'll see if a change is needed. On all my smokeless rifles I have Leupolds.... nice stuff :D .

4x12 or 4x16 for me. I shoot more paper than animals so I like the higher magnifications. When I hunt, even for bear deep in a swamp here in PA, you'll find my scope set to 6 power.

I've used scopes for nearly all my years shooting, and I'm very comfortable with them, so I tend to lean towards a higher magnification. I picked 4-16 'cause I like all the magnification I can get when shooting at paper, and rarely need anything lower than 3x, even when hunting in thick woods. Only once have I had a deer too close to use the scope, and at 20 feet I really didn't need any sights at all!

I have a Leatherwood scope on one ML, and as soon as the funds allow, I will be switching to a VXIII or Zeiss. The difference in clarity is amazing. On my slug gun, I have one of Leupy's 3-10x50 illuminated Mil-Dot reticles, and that makes a HUGE difference in low light. Now, if the pocket book would afford a VXIII 4.5-14x40 or 50 side focus illuminated reticle............... :)

I like the variable power scopes, and leave them set on the lowest setting when hunting. I figure that if the animal is close, then the lowest setting will do. If they're far out, I should have the time to dial it up if needed.

I believe scope covers are a necessity. I like clear on the front, and black on the back. It helps to keep the optics clean in nasty weather. When on a stand I'll pop open the black one (and protect that end of the scope from the weather), and keep the clear one down if the weather is bad. I like the flip-up covers the best.

Blue-Dot-37.5

4-16x50 Bushnell 4200 for me . After using this, my other guns with the 3-9 just don't compare.

I chose a 3x9x40 since my first rifle scope was a Williams Twilight 3x9x40 I got it when Williams was getting out of the scope business and got a great deal on it. I can say it is the scope I prefer over the others I have tried... Burris 3x9x38 not a true 40 but that is how they market it FullField, Simmons 2.5x10x44 Mag Scope and the 1x4x20 on my shotgun The one that seems to gather the most light is the Williams wished they still made them I would buy one for my next ML. Don't have the $$$ to spend on a great scope so I am still looking... but it will most likely be a 3x9x40. My comment about the Burris is because it fits inside the Williams and yet both are to be 40mm. I would have to say the outside of the scope is but the glass is not...

LFM

I voted on the 2.5x10. I like the Bushnell 4200 as where I hunt, you don't know if the deer will show himself at 10 yards or 200+ yards.

I voted 3-9x, given that the scope in question would be full-size model. Many of the 3-12x's, 4-16x's, etc. are a bit heavier and bulkier than I like on a sporter. The 3-9x's are often priced pretty agressively; an example is the great value in the 3-9x Burris FF-II Ballistic Plex combo pack. If going with a compact model I'd opt for a 2-7x to regain some field of view.

On my muzzleloaders, my TC Renegade (.50 Green Mtn. LRH) currently wears a 4x40 Tasco (w/trajectory compensating) and my 10MLII-BSS wears a 6x Burris HBR. As soon as I get a pair of extension bases, the Savage will be switched over to a silver 2-7x Burris compact that's been gathering dust for several years. If I were buying a scope for the Savage I'd go with one of the aforementioned 3-9x FF-II's. The Renegade will probably be reverting to metallic sights soon (it never did look or handle right with a scope).

I voted 2.5x10, although I would prefer a 1.5x10 or 12. My varmint guns wear 6x18 to 24, but my big game hunting guns have the lowest power I can find. Low light conditions such that occur while Bear hunting need the very lowest setting for best light gathering properties. Good shooting, smoker

My Encore wears a Leupold VX II 2x7, I love this scope for hunting SE Ohio. I wish I could have more mag. when working at the bench but for hunting it is all I need. I shot at five deer with it this year and killed all five.

Matt

2x7x33 in the woods and 3.5x10x50 in more open areas where longer shots are more common.

Rifle dependent for me although I voted 3x9 just to vote. The fit of the scope to the rifle and mounts matters a great deal more than its power range, especially to that area right between my eyebrows. :shock:

A Leupold 2x7x33 should fit well on dern near any of them. Ring spacing and the small ocular end make for flexible mounting.

scope vote

I voted for the 3x9 Ive got a fixed 4 on my remington ml but could app the xtra mag for paper work. Got a knight rev for xmas want to mount a burris 3x9 fullfield II on it. Burris list a 2 pc base for the disc . It looks like these would fit the roundtop of the rev also????? has anybody done this THANKS FOR ANY HELP AK47

Are you talking about a Weaver Style 2 Piece Base for a Disc. I contact them about this and I think they only had the twist in Bases with their Rings.
I went with the Burris Signature Zee Rings with the synthetic inserts being they are Weaver Style in High to get a 3-10x44 on it with some clearance for a objective flip open cap and with any Weaver Style base it works out not as high as the Warne Rings at .525 which is much higher than the Burris's at .420 have about 3/16 between the objective and the Disc Elite Barrel.

Just wondering if you were looking at Weaver Style Bases?

Thanks,
Mike / LFM

Back