Scope Shield for Plunger Guns?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
What are guy’s using to shield the bottom of your Scope from Blowback with a Plunger Style Gun like the MK-85? I am getting ready to venture toward the Darkside with this Old Knight MK-85 :D Just waiting on the Rings and Bases to arrive. I figure since i am not much of an in-line guy i might as well Scope this Old MK and get the most out of it, as for Open/Peep sights i have those bases VERY WELL covered with my Sidelocks. I am going with Steel 2 Piece Weaver Cross Slot Style bases, and Steel Leupold Mark 4 rings that Torque to 65 inch pounds, and a Seekins Set 65 Torque wrench. I decided on this Route for Durability, and ease of taking the Scope on n off for Cleaning. Nothing fancy about my Scope, i am gonna Try a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12X40 with a Mil Dot reticle. The Clarity in this Nikon is AMAZING.

Anyway, just curious on what to use for Shielding the underside of the Scope from Blow Back? These things get fairly nasty quick with Real Blackpowder (Swiss) I would be bummed to make a Mess out of the Bottom of a Brand new Scope

I think a flexible piece of leather with cutouts for the turrets and then zip tied to the tube would work good. That’s what I’m going to do to my old plunger BuckHunter when my scope arrives.

I have used electric tape and it was pretty easy to just change out new tape when it gets blow back. Somewhere I have one of the leather scope protectors and I will send it to you if I can find it. PM me your mailing address.

Idaholewis said:
What are guy’s using to shield the bottom of your Scope from Blowback with a Plunger Style Gun like the MK-85? I am getting ready to venture toward the Darkside with this Old Knight MK-85 :D Just waiting on the Rings and Bases to arrive. I figure since i am not much of an in-line guy i might as well Scope this Old MK and get the most out of it, as for Open/Peep sights i have those bases VERY WELL covered with my Sidelocks. I am going with Steel 2 Piece Weaver Cross Slot Style bases, and Steel Leupold Mark 4 rings that Torque to 65 inch pounds, and a Seekins Set 65 Torque wrench. I decided on this Route for Durability, and ease of taking the Scope on n off for Cleaning. Nothing fancy about my Scope, i am gonna Try a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12X40 with a Mil Dot reticle. The Clarity in this Nikon is AMAZING.

Anyway, just curious on what to use for Shielding the underside of the Scope from Blow Back? These things get fairly nasty quick with Real Blackpowder (Swiss) I would be bummed to make a Mess out of the Bottom of a Brand new Scope

I just fashion what I call a 'scope bra'

Cabelas_Scope.jpg

Here is a patern that might work for you...

ScopeProtectorPattern.jpg

Here is another example

Custom_Lehigh_Hammer.jpg

Thank you everyone for the replies, i knew I could count on you guys :yeah: Hal, i sent you a PM

dbowling said:
I just wrap with electrical tape, then wipe off with soap/water when cleaning.

X3
Have used the commercial leather "bra" thing and others. I just have a pack of multi colored vinyl tape from the "dollar" store and use that. Yellow, red, blue or black. your choice. What have I put it on, well lets see: some White Rifles, TC Thunder and Firehawks, and a variety of Knights too. W

Idaholewis , What I have used with plunger style gun is the MUZZLELOADER SCOPE PROTECTOR from Thompson Center Arms with a part # of 7339 which is made for a 1 inch scope

Go to ebay. search for: "Thompson Center Scope Protector" There a few for sale. I use one of these on a T/C Firehawk. It is a plunger style. The scope protector works great. Cutouts for the scope turrets, and velcro where it comes together.

Good idea but always ticks me off when they charge $10 to ship a $9 product. They could easily put it in a padded envelope and mail first class for $3.

BuckDoeHunter said:
But it’s RARE and VINTAGE, what a bargain!

:lol: That’s the absolute truth! What really gets me is the Ebay sellers that completely strip a Blackpowder Rifle, Say an Old Renegade/Hawken, Right down to every individual screw and then have separate auctions on all of the pieces, GENIUSES they are :lol: They can keep their pieces

Have you seen the guy on eBay that is doing this same thing to Knight rifles? He sells tons of Knight parts all year long. I have always been curious where he is finding them...

halloflin said:
Have you seen the guy on eBay that is doing this same thing to Knight rifles? He sells tons of Knight parts all year long. I have always been curious where he is finding them...

Hal, I have seen that guy! I actually talked to him through ebay about Breech plugs for the .54 Cal MK-85, He has a BUNCH of parts n pieces for them

edmehlig said:
Wonder if he worked for Knight and squirreled away a bunch of parts???
He may have bought the parts when knight went out of business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not an eBay'er myself but do look from time to time. There is one guy that had a lot of Used parts. He had a handle that was something like "BigBlock"?

herschel conyers said:
edmehlig said:
Wonder if he worked for Knight and squirreled away a bunch of parts???
He may have bought the parts when knight went out of business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been watching him for several years and yes, BigBlock is his handle. Bought a couple items from him over the years. I beleive he is buying used Knights and parting them out. His parts are not new but used.

Latest posts

Back