Scoped my TC white mountain carbine .54

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First and foremost I know scoping a sidelock is taboo to many however I just wanted to. I mainly hunt trophy big dominate boar at night having a bait set up and Texas boars feeder lights. For the last 6 years I've taken many hogs at night 25 yards and less, using open sights a red headlamp and white paint on my front sight I angled the headlamp to see my rear sights and front sights.
I finally found a few sets of 9953 tc scope based and the 408 base made by weaver which attached to the 9953 base via 4 6-32 screws. Over the weekend I'm gonna decide what bullet it likes I've got a good supply of Hornady great plains .54 425 gr. A bunch of tc 430 maxi a few boxes of no excuse 535 gr and a bunch of Lee real 380 gr and have the 300 gr Lee real mold and the .380 gr mold. I have real black 2f graf powder and 3f in olde eynsford. I'm leary of pushing those 535 with more than 80 gr pyrodex RS. The recoil I can handle just don't want a busted stock. Put a Bushnell trophy 1.5 to to 4.5 shotgun scope with Weaver medium quad lock rings. Not sure if I like the quad lock rings I don't have a inch pound torque driver so snugged them up tight
Good for you on putting the scope on your sidelock. Someone elses " taboos " do NOT need to be YOUR " taboos ". Its your gun, put a Red Dot, RMR, Laser, whatever the heck you want, that makes you happy & keeps you shooting & enjoying your muzzleloader.

I dont think its TABOO here. Live and let live. I think the "the other site" is a little more sensitive. Like the time I questioned about using BH 209 with scope, mounts, sabot, in a traditional rifle. Its all good.
Yep, they're a lil bit more sensitive in there alright. It don't take much to hear wrinkly old buttcheeks tightening up in their buckskins when even talking about anything outside their narrowminded box they live in. I P's them off all the time & rather enjoy doing it.

At Howie68, any updates on your scoping project? How's the shootin' with scope?
Couldn't tell by your pics if the gun stock has a significant drop in comb and heel.
If so, these old girls have a tendency for higher muzzle rise than with a straight stock which is more in line with barrel bore center.
Have you joined those of us belonging to the "Red Crescent Tourniquet Team"?
With too heavy of a load and inadequate eye relief, I've found a bonus in the form of a raw bacon strip in my underpants.

At Howie68, any updates on your scoping project? How's the shootin' with scope?
Couldn't tell by your pics if the gun stock has a significant drop in comb and heel.
If so, these old girls have a tendency for higher muzzle rise than with a straight stock which is more in line with barrel bore center.
Have you joined those of us belonging to the "Red Crescent Tourniquet Team"?
With too heavy of a load and inadequate eye relief, I've found a bonus in the form of a raw bacon strip in my underpants.
yes sir on the white mountain carbine .54 535 grain no excuses 80 pyrodex p recoil fior the carbine is manageble but stiff compared to the great plains 425. i only shot these to 50 yards max with 3 shots slightly over a inch at 50 the scope is a 1-4x with eye relief of 3.5 inches here is a hog i shot friday night the exit side of a 535 grain .54 no excuse hog took a couple steps

Attachments

• SAM_0010.JPG
    SAM_0010.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Holly crap on a cracker nothing like sending a freight train down the barrel keeps a chuggn and dont stop very cool

IMG_1835.jpg2.jpg
Where there's a will there's a way. Couldn't get a decent sight picture in low light anymore with my open sights. Binocs showed a totally different story. Plenty of light. I had to JB Weld the mounts on because no smith would work on it locally. That's a Scout 2-7x pistol scope on a Lyman Deerstalker.54. It must work 'cause I filled the freezer. :)

I had a white mountain carbine that was drilled and tapped for a scope but I foolishly sold it. I didn’t think I could ever scope it, but I should’ve because I can’t use open sights anymore. Live and learn.

Latest posts

Back