scope sighting problem

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff900

Reaction score
I have a VEPR 7.62x54r. I purchased a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 EBR-2C MOA, a Midwest Industries Gen 2 AKSMG2-R QD mount and Vortex Pro rings in both Extra high and high. The problem is bore sighting. I'm using a laser tool at about 30 yards. I can't get enough UP elevation to put the cross hairs on the laser dot. I initially mounted the Extra high rings and it was worse. Then mounted the high rings, that helped and the scope bell is about 1/32 above the rear iron sight. I did a lot of internet research and people mentioned shimming the scope. I wondered if it is possible to shim the rail where it mounts to the QD. Do I have the wrong combination of parts? As you can tell I have a lot to learn. Any suggestions would be helpful.Thanks

With the high rings your scope is probably close to 2" above bore. If you can get it 1/2 low at 30 yds you should be good at 100. I would go to 100 and see where you are

Try this. Take out the bolt . No borescope, set your rifle up in bags or bi-pod and set up target @ 100yds, line up rifle looking through the barrel/bore and center on bull or a corner, then dial the cross hair to the bore poa. when they match you should be able to hit paper then fine tune. If these won't line up you have other issues

I put a Diamondback on one of my Whites and ended up shimming under the scope. A small piece of aluminum laid in the ring, did the trick for me. Your best bet is to order a base with some MOA built into it.

Try this. Take out the bolt . No borescope, set your rifle up in bags or bi-pod and set up target @ 100yds, line up rifle looking through the barrel/bore and center on bull or a corner, then dial the cross hair to the bore poa. when they match you should be able to hit paper then fine tune. If these won't line up you have other issues
Thanks for the advise

I could be wrong but wondering if you're going the wrong way. For my experience, I always liked to mount a scope as low as possible. I think that if the scope is too high, it causes you to raise your head up off the rifle. You lose the cheek weld, or anchor point.
Ok, i'll do that

Latest posts

Back