Scope suggestions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2112

Reaction score
What is your favorite scope to put on your sml? I’m looking to put a sml together, and I’m looking for some suggestions.

It’s mostly for hunting, but also some distance range work 200 yards max.

It’s going on a .45 caliber arrowhead encore.

TIA

Kb.

I dont want to overspend, Im not going for distance competitions. I dont want to cheap out either. I want quality. Im thinking < $1K. Its going to be dragged through the woods in all sorts of weather so it needs to be durable.

Last edited:
I’m kinda like you…….No need to break the bank. I like this one and it functions well.

• Bushnell Banner X-tra Long Eye Relief
3-9x40 Dusk & Dawn

No. 613947

84.99 Midway

I’d like to buy once, not over and over…

Leopold.: I have a VX-3 3-9X that I’m not really impressed with. It’s really difficult to change the zoom, and yea I sent it in. They sent it back saying it was ‘normal’.

I put a couple Bushnell Banner
3-9x40 Dusk & Dawn on some other ml’s - nice scope and brighter than the VX-3, but I’d like something better that will allow me to explore the capabilities of this build.

I have a Zeiss 3-9X 50mm. that just spoiled me. Lol

I’d like something that will let me reach out to 200 yards effectively. That’s basically the furthest I’ll shoot.

I will check out all suggestions though. Thank you.

The STAC 3-16x42 will stomp any scope in the same price range aside from the SWFA SS fixed power. Cameraland usually has sales on them for $300 or less. Great durability, eye relief and tracking with glass well above its price point. Avoid the MOA reticle though unless its strictly for the bench. Its much too thin for many hunting situations.

If you want more magnification the 4-20x50 is a dandy. Ive seen these on sale too for $300.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...fdfb-0139-5b66-00163ecd2826?variation=3072517

Sightron STAC or SIII/SWFA SS/Nightforce

And the great deals atm are Trijicon at EuroOptics. They have several $1000+ scopes at a huge savings. Like the Credo HX series.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...-Center-Dot-30mm-Satin-Black-Riflescope-.aspx
All the above are well under $1k and known for durabilty except the Nightforce which might be a couple bucks more.
I just bought that exact scope for my .40 SML- the Trijicon Credo. I just took a peek at the link you provided for it, thats a very good price they have listed. I got a deal on a new-ish one with the box & everything & warranty TMD for 700.00.

Last edited:
I dont want to overspend, Im not going for distance competitions. I dont want to cheap out either. I want quality. Im thinking < $1K. Its going to be dragged through the woods in all sorts of weather so it needs to be durable.
Leupold (life time warrantee) and save the balance for stuff that matters like lead /molds and books on how to cast (with precision) Ed

They all got lifetime warranty and the best warranty is one you wont need to use. On a hard kicker you want one you WONT need to use.

One thing to notice is many of the durable scopes come out of Japan. Made by either Kenko or Light Optical Works. LoW makes the Elites for Bushnell, Nightforce and Trijicon just to name a few. They also make the V4s for Zeiss. Kenko makes the SWFA SS line and the Sightron SIIIs.

If you're going to shoot it much, go with a higher quality scope. My dad (R.I.P.) always said, "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money and time to do it over

Back