Scorpion PT Gold as range round?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like to hunt with the Barnes 290 grain TEZ but it is a little pricey. The 300 grain Scorpion PT gold is only about .50 cents a round...and I was thinking of using it is a range round for target practice. Anybody have experience with it?

If you're concern is cost why not go with the Hornady xtp's? I realize one bullet is tipped and the other isn't if that matters to you. I wouldn't think it would matter just for range time and practice.

You could also try the Speer Deep Curl. They look almost identical. A lot of muzzy shooters really like em. Me included. Another one would be the Harvester funnel point mag. I've shot these before and they were of good accuracy.

I shoot both the 260 PT Gold and the 250 TEZ with 105 -110 GR BH209 and Smooth Black Sabot in my CVA MR and Accura. Almost identical POI at 100 yards.

JHSA-President
Sir I bought 5 boxes 300 grain FTX 50 each they were sold as seconds I can't see anything wrong with them I paid $18.99 each After placing the order customer service said they were priced wrong they should have read $39.99 each they further said as I placed the order at the $18.99 they will honor the $18.99 price I will never use all of them so I could sell you 2 boxes plus small flat rate shipping LMK Lou

JHSA-President
Sir I bought 5 boxes 300 grain FTX 50 each they were sold as seconds I can't see anything wrong with them I paid $18.99 each After placing the order customer service said they were priced wrong they should have read $39.99 each they further said as I placed the order at the $18.99 they will honor the $18.99 price I will never use all of them so I could sell you 2 boxes plus small flat rate shipping LMK Lou
That's very generous, Lou, but I'm not looking to shoot bullet-to-bore, so the .50 cal is too big for me. Thank you! - A.

Ive wondered the same thing. I ended up buying a ton of Hornady great plains bullets. Considering that's what I hunt with

Haven’t recovered one yet and they punch through even hitting bone for me. 100 grains or 2 imr white hot pellets.

Another vote on the PT Golds. like you, I started using them to save money at the range but I’ve had great success on live targets, too. They fly to same poi out of my gun as the Barnes and the deer, have been just as dead!

I’ve been using Harvester’s 300PT gold for all my hunting for 8 years in a Knight LRH and a Master Hunter. Very accurate and deadly on a variety of animals on my Texas Lease. Axis,Aoudad, Fallow, WT and big feral hogs. If it ain’t broke no need to change.

I have nothing bad to say about the 300 Grain Scorpio PT gold. Below are pictures of the two that I have recovered. The top two pictures are different views of a bullet that was recovered from a young 8-Pt (approximately 135lbs live weight) that was shot almost directly head on at about 35 yds. Bullet hit low, just left of center of esophagus and was found in opposite ham after breaking femur. Bullet angled upward since I was sitting on the ground. Last picture is of bullet that was recovered from a spike that weighed around 110lbs live weight. Bullet busted shoulder on entry and was found under skin behind rib cage on opposite side. Shot was roughly 80-85 yards. They will shed some weight but they penetrate deep to damage more tissue. I think I have killed seven or eight with these bullets and don't plan on changing brands but will try the 260 grain this year.

PT Gold 300 -1.JPGPT Gold 300.JPGPT Gold 300-3.JPG

Seems like more work to have to resight your rifle into the Barnes whenever you want to go hunting. You may get lucky and have the same POA with both but I've found coppers and lead rarely do. It's really shooting 101 that you sight in and target practice with what you hunt with.

I've said it before and will again, some of you fellas need to stop complaining about the price of things until you start paying Aussie prices. I shoot Hornady Monoflex through my fast twist, cheapest I found them was $46 per 20. Highest was $75 per box. But I hunt with them so I still do my target practice with them. That way when I pull the trigger on an animal I know where it's going and have no excuses if I fluff it.

Latest posts

Back