Sectional Density 2 Holes pass through

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
If you want 2 holes with a pass thru then you need a heavy or hard bullet.
My experience is only with lead and even with a HP - Heavy lead plows thru at least to 300yds, guess it has too much energy.lol
Weight also plays into SD, like it does with BC.
I did some research on Sectional Density and established a basic chart..

EC74AA91-0109-49B4-BDDD-160B9B8901EA.jpeg

Last edited:
Over .200 is pretty good for deer most of the time but right around .210 and above is a better choice. Bonding and better construction of course will improve things. Such as solid coppers and partition bullets will usually out penetrate a standard cup/core of the same weight.

I always thought it was rather comical of RW to talk down to the 40cal 200gr SST because the SD is poor but he didnt seem to rag on a 45cal 250gr as much even though its SD is worse.

I feel what is most overlooked in figuring a given bullets performance is its metplat.
A solid certainly helps the bullet to stay together when penetrating..
These folks shooting light HP bullets are finding out.

Things that escape most people is that as a bullet starts expanding(mushroom) it's sectional density goes south fast. There is a fine balance between expansion, weight, and caliber.

Things that escape most people is that as a bullet starts expanding(mushroom) it's sectional density goes south fast. There is a fine balance between expansion, weight, and caliber.
I would think it’s velocity and penetration go south fast upon expansion. Maybe we’re thinking the same, typing differently?
The same projectile with a higher SD will penetrate farther.

I would think it’s velocity and penetration go south fast upon expansion. Maybe we’re thinking the same, typing differently?
The same projectile with a higher SD will penetrate farther.
I like to think of it this way. A 30 cal 150 grain bullet has the same sd regardless of construction. But a fmj will penatrate more than a ballistic tip every time.

On an expanding bullet the diameter is changing which lowers the sd and causes drag. The fmj doesn't and plows right through
I’m intrigued- where can I find some data or articles on how the SD changes?

Latest posts

Back