Shooting Full Bore Lehigh/Bloodline 50-325 & Lehigh Defense 50-350

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
It was a great day here today - in between rain days yesterday and another few days of rain starting Thursday... Si I wanted to make the most of it.

Headed to Dinger's Farm with a two-fold purpose - I wanted to shoot both the Bloodline 50-325 and the Lehigh 50x350 gr. bullets. The Bloodline 50x325 was produced as a ML bullet to be shot with a sabot in a 54 cal. ML. The other bullet a 50x350 bullet is a rifle bullet and was developed for the 50 Beowulf rifle.

First... the 50x325 has been shot in a test shoot by Ron and from his test we found out that the bullet will not open in water with a velocity of 1300 fps. Lehigh say the low operating velocity for the bullet is 1300 fps. It was a mathematical calculation and is probably correct when shooting the bullet into the thicker blood and tissue medium of an animal. Never-the-less 1300 fps in most ML's is only have an effective range of 150-175 yards.

The second bullet used is designed for the 500 Beowulf and has a low operating velocity of 1200 fps.

The 325's shoot amazingly accurate from a ML, even when shot sabotless. Since the 325 is a ML it does have a larger +/- tolerance than does a center fire bullet. In most cases I can load the 325 in a couple of my 50 cal. Knights and get enough grip on the lands and with the aid of a wad shoot them very accurately. Some of the bullets on the low end of the diameter range do need to knurled to fit the barrel.

The 350 center fire bullet is held to a much tighter tolerance and the diameter varies very little. The bullet will drop right to the bottom of the barrel in most of my 50 cal. rifles. Because of this they all have to be knurled to fit the bore. I have found a way to knurl them using a tubing cutter. I add a knurl near the bottom of the bullet and a second one at the top of the Ogive. I have marked the cutter knob to give met the depth of cut I need to provide the lift to make the bullet fit the barrel very well. There will be a picture of this contraption in the photos coming that will be added later in the thread.

Last night I tried a couple of tests to see what it really takes to open these bullet. Of the 3 bullets that I physically opened by pushing a spire point bullet into the nose of the bullet showed me of the 3 bullet the 325 was or required the most pressure to open and continue the tearing of the petals apart from each other. I totally understand why it takes more velocity to open. When you get to the pictures of the experiment compare the thickness of the 325 petals, especially near the bottom of the petal, as compared to the other test bullets. Again the pics will show up later. The 350's did take a good deal of pressure to start the opening process - but once the nose was open it continued to open with much less pressure.

I ran a ballistic sheet on the 350 and it shows me that I can shoot to 200 yards and still expect this bullet to function. Again expecting this bullet to open in the medium of an animal down to 1000 fps.

I took some time last night and knurled up several bullets for shooting this morning. The first test was to shoot a 50 yard target to test the knurling and the accuracy of the bullet. The test proved very well that the knurling worked and the bullet shot accurately. Again a pic of the target will be included later.

After shooting the target I placed clay pigeons at 75 and 100 yards. Then I began to shoot them with the 350's. I forgot how small a clay pigeon is at a 100 yards looking through a peep site. Even 75 yards it is not very big.

Here is two composite pictures showing the activities of the day.

Getting there. The 350 looks to be over 2 bore diameters in length. If lead, it would be in the 500gr range. Are the grooves intended for lube?

52Bore said:
Getting there. The 350 looks to be over 2 bore diameters in length. If lead, it would be in the 500gr range. Are the grooves intended for lube?

It is 1.081" in length.

You I knew the information about the bands but have lost it but it is not for lube.

If I remember correctly I read the information on the Barnes Bullet site - but drawing a blank right now...

Found it - Barnes says - Multiple bands, or rings, cut into the shank of Barnes Banded bullets relieve pressure and virtually eliminate fouling.

That 325 is definitely thicker. Makes sense on Ron's tests now. I wonder what you have to push that bullet at... and what would be the max distance it would be good for?

Nice report SL, good info :yeah:

I wonder how they would fit the CVA Optima V2 .500 bore? Mine has the nitride rifle barrel (supposed to be stronger) also have a V2 pistol...

The V2 Optima with a stainless barrel, is what i used to test the 325g bullet. Fit was mostly kinda good. However, after the barrel was fouled, twice i had to pound the bullet down the barrel, which i found irritating. Me, i just don't like pounding bullets down the barrel. Once, i bruised my palm, which made me uncomfortable. The thing that irritated me the most, was when i bent my range rod trying to get the bullet to the powder. Straightening the rod wasn't very easy, but after it was kinda straightened the testing continued.

toytruck said:
I wonder how they would fit the CVA Optima V2 .500 bore? Mine has the nitride rifle barrel (supposed to be stronger) also have a V2 pistol...

There is a possibility that the 350 center fire bullet could go down the tighter CVA bores - but I have no way to test that thought.

Apparently Ron's Omega has one of those tight TC bores - reading his information some of the 325's went down the barrel fairly easily and others he was pounding down.

So yes, I think there is a possibility that they might go down. Also 'thinking out loud' if/when Lehigh produces a Copper CF bullet that one might also work well for you in that Copper is a little more forgiving than is Brass.

Art', Ed', and 52bore', home cast bullets work great in the Optima.

Mike, i only used the Optima to shoot the 325g Bloodline.

Pete, this thing in the photo, is usually in my pocket most all the time; whilst hunting it is always in my pocket. At the range i use a range rod with a 'T' handle, and that is what hurt my palm; that is what i pounded on, with a BFH.

IMG_1575.JPG

ronlaughlin said:
Art', Ed', and 52bore', home cast bullets work great in the Optima.

Mike, i only used the Optima to shoot the 325g Bloodline.

Pete, this thing in the photo, is usually in my pocket most all the time; whilst hunting it is always in my pocket. At the range i use a range rod with a 'T' handle, and that is what hurt my palm; that is what i pounded on, with a BFH.

IMG_1575.JPG

O didn't knw you were using an Optima and that makes more sense as I have been told the newer CVA's do have a tight bore. So in the case of the 325 - some should have fit very well and others tight!

Still wonder how the 350 might fit in tight CVA's

ronlaughlin said:
The Optima bore is significantly larger than any Omega bore here.

And I believe the last group of 325's you got from Grouse were the larger diameter 325's that I sent him to check in his ULite. The first batch were new ones and should have had a wider selection of sizes - all be-it very random in the few that he sent.

Is your Optima a V1 or V2?

Optima is a v2.

Tom sent 8 bullets the first go. They all worked just fine in the Optima; almost perfect one might say. Too loose in a clean barrel, but 'perfect' in a fouled barrel. Experienced a misfire in a clean barrel; fixed it by compressing the powder. Perfect results afterward, because always shot them in a fouled barrel from then on.

Tom sent 10 bullets the last batch, and of those, 5 were shot. Me, i was not informed they were larger bullets. Of the 5 shot, 2 had to be pounded down the fouled barrel. Pounding bullets down a barrel isn't something i like to do, and hope to never ever do it again. Me, i will never shoot any of the 5 remaining bullets, except maybe in a clean clean barrel. Am hoping someone wants them, so i never will ever shoot them.

From everything I read, I'm surprised you had difficulty loading with BH209-still learning.
It seems the harder the FB projectile, the more critical the fit needs to be. With manufacture tolerances on barrel ID's from lot-to-lot & maker-to-maker makes this even more difficult.

Latest posts

Back