Shooting the Barnes 250 with sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I tried the Barnes 250 with EZ sabot in my Savage ML10II and it was accurate at 100 yds. I tried them today in my Sile Hawken Hunter with a 1:28 twist at 100 yds and they didn't hit the 4 ft. x 3 ft. backstop much less the target. I moved the target to 50 yds. and one hit 9 1/2 " left and 5" low.

barnes10.jpg

You can see the perfect profile of the key-holed bullet.

I moved the target to 25 yards and tried again.
</a><a href="https://servimg.com/view/19440265/80" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
This time the keyhole was 3 1/2" left and 1" high.

After trying 3 different sabots, my utter disgust with this bullet reached new heights. I figured the scope was off and shooting left so I moved the target back to 100 yds and shot a 260 PT Gold with a crushed rib sabot and the same load of 63 grs. of BH 209 by weight (= 90 grs. by volume).
pt_gol10.jpg

I don't know if it's the Barnes copper bullet or what but the PT Gold is my go-to bullet for hunting this year as it was last year. The Barnes can be used in The Savage if I ever decide to use it.

Funny thing is the Thor 250 gr. shot pretty good in my Hawken Hunter while it was inaccurate in the Savage ML10II.

Barnes X bullets give crappy accuracy in almost all of my center-fire cartridges too.

WOW! Bullets hitting sideways sure isn't stabilizing for damn! Probably just a little to long or needing more powder.

whats the twist rate in the savage if you don't mind my asking. they shoot great out of my CVA accura MR?

Latest posts

Back