Shot the Accura today while on duty...shhhhhh!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot mine a little today. Had relocated the scope back a bit to give the power adjustment ring a little slack. Didn't do as well today but I think it was mostly me. Shot an ~2" 3 shot group with the 200 grain XTPs then tried some 300 grain XTP mags in Harvester CR sabots.

Figured the heavier slugs would hit low (same charge of 90 grains BH209) and they did, roughly 6" below the 200 grainers and straight below the bullseye. Launched another down range and cut the first one's hole with that shot. At this point, Dave (my friend and host) suggested that I break open the barrel and kick back for a few minutes - to not get excited as I had a potentially great string of 3 in the making. So I did as he suggested. :)

I carefully loaded the third 300 grainer, took dead aim, and squeezed it off. 4" directly above the first two. :shock: I quickly reloaded and fired a fourth - again cutting the hole (the THIRD hole). At this point Dave asked me if I had tweaked the scope or if possibly the scope had moved ... no and no. Thinking I would fire a fifth and decisive shot to tell where the load was really calling home, I told Dave to ready for one more. Two pair of enlarged holes separated by 4" vertically, surely one or the other of those clusters would find a match with the fifth shot. So, again a bit of a wait, a careful load and a gentle squeeze. Dead center between the two sets of holes. :roll:

At that point, I quit shooting the Accura. One thing I am certain of is the odd behavior in my shooting today was no fault of the rifle itself.

The G2 behaved much better with the BH209 this time. Only a few shots but I managed one 3-shot group of a bit under 1.2" spread (almost all horizontal spread) and another that expanded to about 2.25" (by that time the cross wind had picked up so I wasn't too disappointed with that group as it was centered about 3" above the bull.

And this time both rifles cleaned up easily. The G2 plug (a new one) showed NO gas cutting. I did take considerable time cleaning both the rifles' plugs, though I was very meticulous and made sure to get all the carbon out.

I experienced one other oddity during the shoot and that was a load that sounded as if it was about 1/3 power. There was nothing wrong with the loading procedure (I'm sure) but I wonder if I might have sheared a sabot as it went down the bore. The shot was not a hang-fire, no delay at all. The only thing I could think of to explain what happened was possibly shearing a gas path along the side of the sabot so that a good seal was impossible. Sound like a reasonable explanation?

I was only a temporary SC redneck back when...

100 yards

2lcmh5y.jpg
:D

G2 shot a good group but the wind was blowing in variable gusts up to about 15 mph quartering left to right. Good group but I couldn't do that well again after making the scope adjustments to get over near POA. Will have to shoot the things again, dern it. :wink:

Are you NUTS UC???? When you get a group like that centered on a bull - any bull - never ever tell anyone you were aiming somewhere else!!!!

Man, you could get banned!!!!

flint head said:
Chuck and Bat,

Consider this... both UC and myself have given this new CVA our stamp of approval. We both are muzzleloading enthusiast with a lot of experience. One of us is a cultured gentleman with a high IQ and tons of technical savvy. The other a Carolina redneck who just likes to kill sh*t and then post the pictures on MM (I'll let y'all decide who's who). Now I ask you, with the vast amount of knowledge that falls between those two specturms, can you honestly get a better review on a muzzleloader? :wink:

I really DID LOL when I read THAT! :lol: Here's my point... Let's see how the two of you feel in six months... If the two of you are still shooting the SAME CVA Acura this time next year....I'll buy into it.

Stop makin fun o us, Chuck. :D

Semi, ah am humbly sorrowful. I could have just said I wanted the rifle to be hitting 7" high and to the right. :wink:

All joking aside guys, this really is a nice muzzleloader. I think CVA hit a home run with this gun... Is it better than my Triumph? No... but it's pretty darn close. Overall, feature for feature, I call it a tie... :)

Back