Shot the Extreme and Omega side by side today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdeather

Reaction score
Took both out today to see how they compare side by side. The Omega is the laminated TH. The Extreme is the MHC SS fluted. Both were shot at 50 yards using the same 1x scope on both. I shot several different loads and powder with both guns. The Omega shot everything really good. The Extreme was real picky on what it would shoot. In a nut shell the Omega shot circles around the Extreme. This gun was 200 dollars cheaper than the Omega but I expected it to shoot better than it has been. I've been shooting the XTP's, SST's, Gold Dots and the Harvester scorpions. I've talked to Knight twice about it and both times they said I need to shoot the Barnes bullets. Really, I cant afford to be spending a dollar or more for each shot. I was looking at my log for last year and I shot between 800-900 rounds through my muzzys. The Omega's average group was 1/4 inch. The Extreme's average group was 1-2 inch depending on what I shot. I've got a couple of cheap CVA's that will shoot just as good as that or better. The Extreme will shoot the conicals better than the Omega but I have 3 Whites for those big ole pieces of lead. These groups with the Extreme are not horrible but needless to say I'm glad I didnt spend anymore on the gun than I did. I did get my KRB back from them and instead of fixing the trigger problem they sent me back a brand new gun. That was a pleasant surprise. Oh well I will keep working with the Extreme but I'll be darned if I start shooting those overpriced Barnes. I also have a Bighorn that is an incredible shooter with the previous mentioned bullets so I know Knight will shoot other bullets besides the Barnes.

So far I have tried the 300 grain .452 XTP's and 375 grain Buffalo Bullets out of the Extreme. I have been shooting stiff powder charges. The best group I can get so far is about 2 inches at 50 yards. While not fantastic, with open sights it is huntable. But my White will shoot much better then that at this distance with open sights.

I also called Knight about the rifle. They told me 250-300 grain Barnes Expanders and 100 - 150 grains of powder, swab between shots... So I just bought 14 (10 in a pack) of Barnes 250 grain Expanders. I will see if Knight is right once I get this thing scoped. That way at 50 yards it better stack them and at 100 it better almost stack them I hope...

I was thinking of taking it out again today and trying some of the Gold Dot I have around the house. I hate to start shooting off the Nosler, and Barnes as like you said, throwing a dollar down range every time you pull the trigger, somehow gets my goat.

When I first shot my MHC it was with 100 grains of 2f 777 and 300 grain XTP Magnums with the supplied sabots... this shot the wost group of any bullets I have tried which was 2 1/4" @ 100 yards. I believe any load over 100 grains will open up the groups and my guns shoots best with a loose fitting sabot... although it shot a 1 1/2" 100 yard group with a 300 grain Barnes MZ in a HPH 12 which loaded pretty hard.

They were going to be my next attempt.. plus I want to shoot some .430 diameter and see how they work.

Try a 200gr Shockwave. Also try 250gr/275gr Parker Ballistic Extremes.

:? You are worried about bullet costs while owning three Whites, two Knights, and a T/C?

BTW....Both Knight AND Barnes sell the same bullets. You can probably get one less expensively than the other..

big6x6 like I said I shot almost 1000 rounds last year. I could buy 3-4 rifles by paying a dollar a piece for bullets. I think the rifle will eventually come around once I find the right combo. Thanks for all the comments.

Latest posts

Back