Shoulder problems with light recoil

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grog655

Reaction score
So I have had 3 shoulder surgeries some days a 223 is to much...I have a cva optima pistol I am wanting to get back to shooting a rifle I got a optima v2 in 50.cal I am going to try a 155gr Hornaday. 400 sabot and black horn 209....anybody running this load input would be appreciated

I think BH has a sharp recoil. You might consider a softer shooting powder like Pyrodex RS and just deal with more fouling.

Yes, see what you can take and if it's enough to hunt with you're good. In my case I couldn't come up with a good elk load that I was comfortable using.

I shoot a cva optima v2 50 with 70 grains of bh powder along with a harvester 50x40 sabot and a 180 grain 40 cal bullet.I also picked up a slip on recoil pad over the stock pad.And I have a torn rotator cup oin my shoulder.But I only sighted it in for 75 yards because I use it for a woods gun.I was told that it would be 11/2 high at 50 and 11/2 low at 100 tds.

A Barnes 45 ACP 185gr. with BH209. Start low and work up. Check Ron's bullet test to see how it done. It closer to bore size.

Last edited:
I shoot a cva optima v2 50 with 70 grains of bh powder along with a harvester 50x40 sabot and a 180 grain 40 cal bullet.I also picked up a slip on recoil pad over the stock pad.And I have a torn rotator cup oin my shoulder.But I only sighted it in for 75 yards because I use it for a woods gun.I was told that it would be 11/2 high at 50 and 11/2 low at 100 tds.
Have you ran a chronograph to see what bullet speeds are?

Hate to say it but..............Add some weight to your rifle, lots of weight. And carry shooting sticks if out traipsing around.

You might try shooting from the other shoulder. When I was a youngster,I took so many shots at doves one day that my shoulder couldn’t take another one. The next dive that flew up, I shot at left handed

You might try shooting from the other shoulder. When I was a youngster,I took so many shots at doves one day that my shoulder couldn’t take another one. The next dive that flew up, I shot at left handed

I think this is the best bet, if 223 is too much there's pretty much no hunting load that will be suitable. Shooting from your opposite shoulder is much easier than you'd expect.

I agree about going to the other shoulder. I didn't suggest it because for some reason I thought both shoulders were operated on.

I shot right handed all my life. 10 years ago I lost the sight in my right eye and had to switch to shooting left handed. It felt terrible at first. I'm real dominant right handed. I shouldered a gun about 1000 times left handed until it felt natural. Now, shouldering a gun right handed feel strange. Our brain can adjust to anything if we give it a chance.

Had left shoulder crushed and had to learn to shoot right. New it would be ok when I got my first double on quail with my pump gun.

I never correct someone's spelling and grammar. I'm just a dumb retired truck driver. However, when their name is schoolmaster I'm tempted.
I never correct someone's spelling and grammar. I'm just a dumb retired truck driver. However, when their name is schoolmaster I'm tempted.
Lol taught science 41 years. Just proves schoolteachers are human. I told my students if they caught a mistake I made speak right up. Ironic I have trouble mastering a cell phone.

Lol taught science 41 years. Just proves schoolteachers are human. I told my students if they caught a mistake I made speak right up. Ironic I have trouble mastering a cell phone.

LOL..I never attempted to type on a cell phone. I have a hard enough time on a keyboard.

Thanks guys for the advice of using the the other hand but it won't work for me I can shoot lefthanded but the jarring from the recoil 😬😬

If the weather holds out tomorrow I am going ot with a chronograph and trying to work up a load that will work for me

I use suppressors on my AR-15's for my wife and kids... both the autoloading small caliber, and the suppressor drastically reduce felt recoil... heavy barrels/weights help too.

I had a lot of pain in my neck (At the shoulders and mid back) after trying to get ready for Fall Deer season. Craxy as it may shound I shot my Ruger RA in 450Bushmaster the weekend before with no problem but the next weekend the ULight with 120gnv loads of BH made me miserable for quite some time. In December I was diagnosed with Straightening of the neck part of my spine (Causing spasms), Narrowing of the disks and Moderate Arthritis in the lower neck at my shoulders and in the mid back. So I am in the same boat in respects to heavy recoil. If I shoot a few round from my ML with loads of 120gnV of BH I pay for it for several weeks. ☹ This really just hit me this year. For me switching from Right to left shoulder would only cause the same issues.

So I was looking for a way to reduce the recoil and even considered selling my 50cal UL and getting a 45cal UL thinking it might be a way to lower the recoil but shooting lighter bullets of smaller diameter. After a chat with Saboloader I tried a few test loads with lower charges and lighter bullets. I only had one outing so far due to the crappy weather we have had here. The 2 Bullets I am working with are the Controlled Fracturing bullets from Lehigh, the .400 dia 195gn and the .451 230gn. I got the Blue MMP 40x50 sabots and I have plenty of MMP sabots for the 230.

As I stated I only have one shot session but it was very productive and quite surprising for me as I never really got many light bullets to shoot that well, over the larger weight/diameter bullets, in the past.

The MMP Blue sabot with the .400 195gn CF gave me this over my Chrony.

100gn v 70gnW of BH209 = 1770fps- 1790fps Recoil was Very light.:D
110gn V 77gnW of BH209 = 1953fps - 1990fps Recoil was a little heavier, but still much more manageable than my normal load of 265gn LehighCF and 120gnV of BH.

Lehigh .451 230gn CF MMP HPH 12 sabot (Turned out to be too tight for this bullet in my rifle so only shot 3) Next time out I will try this bullet in the MMP HPH24 sabot.

100gn V 70gnW of BH = 1768 - 1780 FPS

I stopped here to prevent getting messed up.

Groups were surprisingly accurate but I accidentally threw out the targets so can't post them. Hope to try again when we get some better weather. As I mentioned I was very surprised by the way the 40cal shot and am really hoping to get out and shoot some more. My only problem is I will be starting my testing over with 777 2F as I ran out of BH and cannot get anymore, but was able to get a few jugs of 777.

Back