skeeter tip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use OFF 100 with 99% DEET. Im old enough to not be worried about the side effects. My wife loves her ThermaCell.
I've used Deep Woods OFF or Cutters in the past. t has amazed me how I hear so many recommend that damn Thermacell down here & I've had it on while at my bench shooting & it had ZERO effect on the clouds of swarming skeeters & when turkey hunting I've set it in the crotch of a tree between me & Anonymous C right at chest level & even had it right behind my head & even with no wind at all, it still did absolutely ZERO to the clouds of blood suckin lil buzzers. A/C brought these neon green 1" stick-on " skeeter repellent dots for us, we could have covered ourselves with them & they did nothing. A lil smear of Vick's on both shoulders, down the arms, a lil dab on each side of the chest..... cleared them skeeters right out. I could still see them flyin around, but not directly on us or in very close proximity to our bodies. It reall worked great.
It chaps my hind parts at how many jars of Vicks or cans of Cutters or OFF I could have bought with what the Thermacell & an extra pk of inserts & batteries cost me.

Last edited:
I've used Deep Woods OFF or Cutters in the past. t has amazed me how I hear so many recommend that damn Thermacell down here & I've had it on while at my bench shooting & it had ZERO effect on the clouds of swarming skeeters & when turkey hunting I've set it in the crotch of a tree between me & Anonymous C right at chest level & even had it right behind my head & even with no wind at all, it still did absolutely ZERO to the clouds of blood suckin lil buzzers. A/C brought these neon green 1" stick-on " skeeter repellent dots for us, we could have covered ourselves with them & they did nothing. A lil smear of Vick's on both shoulders, down the arms, a lil dab on each side of the chest..... cleared them skeeters right out. I could still see them flyin around, but not directly on us or in very close proximity to our bodies. It reall worked great.
It chaps my hind parts at how many jars of Vicks of cans of Cutters or OFF I could have bought with what the Thermacell & an extra pk of inserts & batteries cost me.
I found some hacks for refilling the butane bottles and the chemical pads for wife's Thermacell. Saved a little bit of $. I don't think hers uses batteries tho. Have to double check.

It chaps my hind parts at how many jars of Vicks of cans of Cutters or OFF I could have bought with what the Thermacell & an extra pk of inserts & batteries cost me.
Cutters for me. Once you get past the taste, the remaining teaspoons aren't so bad

Vicks is good.
Odor is strong tho.
Another reason to buy T7 50/50 pellets... when properly placed, they make an air-tight seal to the nasal wall (think of em as a 'bore riders'). The included pipe cleaner makes for an impromptu q-tip. There's no reason one should let one's hygiene suffer while on stand. As a bonus, Hodgdon adds a nice rectangular piece of foam in each box. Perfect for freshening up after a long hunt or answering a call to mother.

Thermacells work!!!
I turkey hunt just about everyday of the Virginia spring season and carry it every day. I don't use it until I get swarmed after setting up to work a bird. When that happens I turn it on and in about 2 minutes I'm bug free. If it doesn't work I would guess that the replaceable pad needs changing.

I’ve heard a gulp of apple cider vinegar the evening prior to a hunt works.

I have a Thermacell but haven’t used it. It just sits in my gear bag.

I use permethrin for ticks and I think that helps for all the flying insects.

I make up the difference with OFF 100 or Sawyers 100.

I always laugh when scent control topics come up. I do an excellent job of getting rid of my human scent but the bug repellent scent is another problem that doesn’t seem to affect my hunting success.

Back