SML Optics

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realhunter

Reaction score
Has anyone ran a Meopta optic on their .45 cal smokeless or similar recoiling rifle?

I have a pair of optika 5 meopro 2-10x42s, I have had them on several different smokeless rifles they've handled the recoil well ,just basic crosshair

Very difficult choices when it comes to optics- so many good ones, and so many bad ones. The best news for us is that you can buy a quality optic without spending thousands of dollars-many good ones out there. I tend to go with Leupold on most of my rifles due to years of experience with them and the simple duplex reticle. Personally, I like nothing in the reticle except the crosshairs. This has kept me from trying out other scopes over the years. Regarding recoil, just make sure you use a quality mount and rings. A great rifle can quickly turn into a piece of crap without a good optic, and without a secure mount the optic/gun can turn into a piece of crap. Warne is what I would recommend for steel rings, or Seekins/Vortex Pro for aluminum rings.

Last edited:
I like Burris rings, also like vortex I like the leupolds if it's their heaviest tactical rings ,the other Leopold's and I don't have the package in front of me it's kind of ,,The Next Step down, I have snapped three ,all torqued to correct spec I won't even put them on a gun anymore. I am averaging about three scopes of year going south won't talk about who's or which ones I haven't broken any Vortex or Burris rings

I'll just add that loktite is your best friend.
Yes sir it is. However sometimes is not quite enough. Using the #8 screws, even with plentiful amounts of Loctite and mounts can still come loose on heavy recoiling rifles., especially with heavier scopes. I've had rails come loose twice and both times during a match :(
Builders are now pinning rails, or as I did, use the Farrell Industries FG-Force rail.
For rings I prefer the Nightforce 6 screw rings, but the Leupold Mark4 rings have held too.

Leupold standard mounts are worthless on heavy recoiling rifles.

1709132930325.jpeg

1709132960347.jpeg

I've had very good service out of sightron,, I'm about to test this arken and I'm shooting a Bushnell Forge it's like 2 to 16 power Korean made with Japanese glass they're both heavy scopes and perfect for a lot of bench rest smokeless muzzle loading ,, thank GA smokey for the scope ,and his knowledge, I appreciate getting advice from people that are shooting all the time. There's a lot of good scope advice I think on Modern muzzleloader.

Attachments

• 20240228_101707.jpg
    20240228_101707.jpg
    890.2 KB · Views: 0
Very difficult choices when it comes to optics- so many good ones, and so many bad ones. The best news for us is that you can buy a quality optic without spending thousands of dollars-many good ones out there. I tend to go with Leupold on most of my rifles due to years of experience with them and the simple duplex reticle. Personally, I like nothing in the reticle except the crosshairs. This has kept me from trying out other scopes over the years. Regarding recoil, just make sure you use a quality mount and rings. A great rifle can quickly turn into a piece of crap without a good optic, and without a secure mount the optic/gun can turn into a piece of crap.
I wanted more magnification with the duplex reticle for rifles and pistol. Sightron S-Tac just fit the bill for my rifles.The Burris 3-12 pistol scope, I wanted the duplex reticle, but the reticle it has l'm ok with. It doesn't "clutter" up the field of view. Of course, I'm not stressing any my scopes with heavy recoil, anyway, but I do loc-tite my rings and bases.

When Sightron started out , I had a conversation with one of their engineers. He claimed the engineers that started Sightron came from Leupold.Claimed they would replace scope even if I ran over with my truck.
I used them some with no complaints.
I agree on heavy rings.I was partial to Burris until I seen they were made in China. I've started using Vortex heavy rings and loctite torqued to specs.

Back