SML Weekend

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
First i am sore!!!!! I decided to try the 325gr FTX with a semi mild load of N110. Mild my ARSE!!! That load got nearly 2200fps and we never used a sled all weekend.

NULA 50cal
41gr N110 325gr FTX MMP Orange 254gr retained
2190fps
2181fps
2205fps

So i had to try a few with a bit more 4759. Its typically milder.
44gr 4759 325gr FTX MMP Orange
2142fps
2150fps
2160fps
Both loads shot really well but that was enough punishment.

I had to see how fast a Barnes 225gr XPB was moving since they shot awesome last time and for Chuck.
43gr N110 225gr XPB MMP Short
2510fps
2491fps
2489fps

I was like WOW and i did a expansion test with a vid. I will post that later after editing. I might have two. I took the SD card out of the cam and had it in my laptop so i lost some pics or vids. I need to sort them out.

Well how about some 4759.
44gr 4759 225gr XPB MMP Short 205gr retained
2303dps
2320fps
2315fps

I had shot a few of the .475x275gr DCs last time and had to know how fast they were moving. Suprisingly they were faster than small OD bullets.
43gr N110 .475 275gr DC Harvester 50x.475
2366fps
2350fps
2347fps
No wonder these thumped so nice and destroyed media.

The Parkers 275gr BEs were about what i guessed but fragged pretty bad on the torture test media.
41gr N110 275gr BE MMP short
2325fps
2312fps
2331fps
W/HSB Sabot
2320fps
2322fps
2333fps
I showed a strong preference for the MMP short with the Parkers and the 225gr XPB.

I thought the additional 4759 would give about the same fps but its still a bit slower.
44gr 275gr BE MMP Short 195gr retained
2242fps
2259fps
2250fps

Looks like a toss up between the XPB and Parker. Both shot great but the Parker has a better BC. The XPB can really get moving and energy transfer was massive from the video. The first jug nearly vaporized.

Well i had to give the Savage/Pacnor 45 a try but i had to swipe the scope from my Elite 45 since the Nikon Omega was too short. I got it bore sighted and shooting bug holes at 50 yards but we were running out of time.

63gr Re7 40-200gr Nosler Harv. Smooth Blue
2606fps
2620fps
2619fps

Oddly the 195BX was slower but i didn't knurl them and i only had a few with me.
W/195BX
2560fps
2580fps
2579fps

The Pacnor 45 had more recoil than expected but not bad. Sabots looked better than most of my top end BH209 loads too. I messed up when i was taking some pics and at least one video since the cam was using its own built in memory instead of the SDcard. I will get them ready later tonite or tomorrow.

My buddies friend who was stationed with him in Saigon and Northern Thailand during Nam was in town so we just mostly had some fun. We had to cut today a bit short since he had other obligations and then has to fly back to Montana. he had never seen a SML and got a real KICK out of them....literally. :D

Good report. A buddy uses the 225 XPB with 4759 in his NULA. Deadly combo. Thanks for the info.

Nice report! Thanks for the effort put into it. I can see why your shoulder is sore- those 325 FTX loads sure would be a handful. I'm pretty sure you could flatten a moose with what you're loaded with.

Would be interesting to try out the 200 Lehigh DOA with your Pacnor. 2600 fps with that bullet would be awesome from 0 - 300 yards IMO.

santoslhalper said:
Nice report! Thanks for the effort put into it. I can see why your shoulder is sore- those 325 FTX loads sure would be a handful. I'm pretty sure you could flatten a moose with what you're loaded with.

Would be interesting to try out the 200 Lehigh DOA with your Pacnor. 2600 fps with that bullet would be awesome from 0 - 300 yards IMO.

Those are challenging to get to shoot in a 45cal SML. Ive got some ideas though that might make them work better. They are really hard on the sabot and sabot failure is common with smokeless/brass or even hard copper unless you keep the speed down. Barnes once made a small change to the 195MZ and people started having issues.

I do have some 185gr DOAs i will give a try. Im out of 200s.

I did not know that copper/brass bullets had that issue in a smokeless ML. I don't have smokeless yet- just interested in the idea, so I've been lurking around the smokeless forum. I wonder if a better sabot design could prevent some of those problems....

It mainly an issue in the 45cals because there are not many sabot choices and 45cal sabot R&D kinda died when 50cals became the standard. Usually a Harvester smooth 45x40 will shoot most 200gr 40cals with no problem. Occasionally Barnes 195s can be finicky when pushed hard or its hot outside or if they simply don't fit tight enough.

Since brass is harder the problems manifest themselves easier. Some guys right now are working on a 240gr copper and its been a struggle for them too. Everything has to be just right for a monolithic bullet at smokeless speeds. Then the big problem kicks in...the main reason for a 45 is long range with less recoil. If the Barnes 195 (as an example) is going to expand reliably near 300 yards, it has to be really moving at the muzzle. The SST on the other hand is still in its designed impact range by then. Omegas SST load should still be good to at least 250 yards with that kind of accuracy.

How u like those parkers and xpb? Those are my go to loads. Using 44 grains of 4759 for the parkers with HSB or the red and 45 grains of 4759 for the 225 xpb and mmp sb. Both are consistently under an inch. Our velocities are off a good bit tho. I average 2530 with the xpb load

So far im quite happy with both but i haven't shot the 43gr N110 and XPB for groups yet. Ive shot them with 41gr and the 225gr FTX with 43gr and both shot very good.

Sofar it looks like one of them will be the load/bullet i use this year in the NULA. Im leaning towards the 225gr XPB if the 2500fps load groups as well as it did with 41gr. I probably wont be dialing in any 4759 loads until after the season unless i get lucky.

You think the ftx would hold up? I think I'm going to shoot the first one with the xpb then try the parker. They print almost the same POI. The xpb prints about 3/4" left of the parkers. I've got a buddy that has 300 yard range that I'm going to try to get to next week and wring them both out. Also have some 290 gr tmz flat base coming. Have you shot those?

Nate, you asked about the 290 grain TMZ....I have had very good luck in the NULA with the 290 grain Barnes boattail in the Harvester yellow sabot that is designed for boattail bullets. 42 grains 4759. I could not get the flat based 290 to consistently group with the MMP 12 or the Harvester red crushed rib. Knurling did help the flat based bullet but 100 yd groups were still around 2-3".

Crickett thanks for the info but now you got me depressed lol. I figured the boat tails would blow sabots. I remember a few years back when people were putting washers on them to help. I've got n110, n120, 4759, 5744, imr4198, h322, aa2015, reloader 7 and 10x to try them with. If they don't shoot my buddies knight loves them so he can have them :D . Will give the boat tails a try to as well as the 245 spitfires a little later. My gun also loves the 250 xtp with either n110, 4759, or 5744. I really don't even know why I'm still tinkering :D . Thanks again and I will post how they shoot!

nate121080

No i dont think the 225gr FTX would hold up past about 1600fps. Its a great cheap target bullet though and probably great for yotes if the groups hold together past 100 yards.

These shot so good with mild recoil i nearly decided to not buy a 45cal and just shoot them for fun.

I knew Chuck shot the 225gr XPB and i have his load data. I didn't have any XPBs at that time so i subbed in the FTXs. It was my fist time shooting a 7lb SML and wasn't sure what kind of recoil to expect. I figured with the slower twist the little FTX would make a nice first range day...and they did.

I didn't have any Parkers then either so i swapped them out for the Harvester 260gr PT Golds...another lucky guess. :yeah: I probably shot them a bit fast too but recoil was still on the mild side. Both would shoot under an inch at nearly 100 yards. I moved the bench a little so i could sit/shoot in the shade. :D

Second time out was just for some fun and to see if the 50x475 275gr DC would shoot within reason with N110 and the 325gr FTX with a heavy load of BH209. :D Both did ok but need some work. They did awesome in the torture test.

Last time out i had the XPBs, the Parkers and others. I only set the target up at 50 yards and i was more interested in chrono data and vaporizing jugs. So i just made sure POI was good/consistent and i wasn't going to destroy my new Chrony. :D Now i had some loads i knew wouldn't blow sabots or have the odd fliers that would ruin my day. ;)

I guess now i have to choose after i shoot a few at 100 and 150 yards. Im sure either will do fine but im really curious about the lighter XPBs terminal performance at those speeds. It has to be plain nasty on deer.

Back