Smokeless Omega question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would putting a wad of some sort under the sabot help the situation any?
Me & Decay just recently did some sabot load testing with 250gr Fury ST2P bullets in Harvester light blue crush rib sabots with N120 powder. We did start to see sabot degradation on the cup being almost pushed out flat & the edges burnt up.
We did test using 1/8 felt wads under them. It did help decrease the severity of the damage, not " completely ", but noticeably.
It did not affect the POI either if I remember correctly.

How many grains, if you don't mind me asking?

I have lowered the weight of H4895 to 85 grains, to reduce the pressure. The "QuickLoad" computer program I now use estimates the pressure to be about 29,000 psi, with a 200 grain bullet.

The shank of my barrel is 1.125" OD for about 5 inches in front of the action.

I have lowered the weight of H4895 to 85 grains, to reduce the pressure. The "QuickLoad" computer program I now use estimates the pressure to be about 29,000 psi, with a 200 grain bullet.

The shank of my barrel is 1.125" OD for about 5 inches in front of the action.
Just seems to me there would be a better more efficient powder for a 200gr than H4895

Last edited:
Just seems to me there would be a better more efficient powder for a 200gr than H4895

Based on my calculations on QuickLoad (Use at your own risk, because I am no expert.) I came up with the following numbers.

85 gr. H4895. about 29,000 psi. at about 2,826 fps. 78% efficiency (propellant burned)

100 gr. Acc4064. about 25,000 psi. at about 2,886 fps. 85% efficiency

That is with a 200 grain bullet.

.Screenshot (14).png

Last edited:
I guess If that's the only powder you could find or had. It would work in a pinch.

Latest posts

Back