Smokless vs. Blackpowder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ever since I seen Savage 10ML-II I have been very interested in them but I am still very questonative on how much more performance i can gain over my CVA? Is cleanup hard using smokeless powder?
I was wondering, any help on guiding me to a good choice would be appreciated. Thanks

Rightybuckmaster said:
Ever since I seen Savage 10ML-II I have been very interested in them but I am still very questonative on how much more performance i can gain over my CVA? Is cleanup hard using smokeless powder?
I was wondering, any help on guiding me to a good choice would be appreciated. Thanks
You will gain a great deal of performance over the CVA,in velocity and accuracy,not to mention safety! Clean up? You clean as any other gun that shoots smokeless powder.Hoppes No.9,soft brush, and patches,it will cut down your clean up time by at least 60%.I personaly start the season by going to the range to make sure she is dialed in,and then I do not clean until the season is over, or I get ready!Once you try a Sav.you will not go back!There is no comparison between the CVA and the Sav. The CVA does not come any where close to the performance of the Sav.You gotta try it to believe it! You will not be sorry. The CVA will not see the light of day again!

I also shoot the Savage before season to check the POI and group size, then don't clean it until season ends. For me this year, that's from the first week in November until after December 18th.

Rightybuckmaster, as for accuracy, what accuracy are you getting with your CVA? Also, what is your trajectory like? Say from muzzle to 250 Yds, if you are sighted in right on @ 100 Yds. Also, what bullet are you using (type, weight and dia.) ?

Blue-Dot-37.5

Rightybuckmaster said:

Comparing a CVA to a Savage is like comparing a gokart and a race car. There's not a T7 muzzleloader out there that can give the performace of the Savage. The Accu-Trigger is the best on a muzzleloader, lock time is the fastest in the industry, cheapest to shoot and easy to maintain, accuracy on mine is nickle groups @100yds, only muzzleloader to be test fired at the factory and only company to test their barrels over 120,000psi. Get a Savage you won't be sorry. :wink:

Rightybuckmaster said:
What is most of your guys set ups for hunting, like bullet and powder size and make??

43gr. VV N110, 250gr. SST, Winchester 209 primer

Rightybuckmaster said:
What is most of your guys set ups for hunting, like bullet and powder size and make??

No pun intended, but that is a loaded question!

Visit the site at sav10ml.com

That will help as far as getting some ideas and Savage has a pretty good selection of "recommended loads".

And some of us are shooting some really hi power setups that are capable of 2600 fps with 250 gr bullets for example.

dwhunter said:
Rightybuckmaster said:

43gr. VV N110, 250gr. SST, Winchester 209 primer
Dwhunter you forgot another solid performer to start with,44gr.AA5744,250 or (300grn. my fav.)XTPs, short black MMP sabot,Fed 209A primer. These are proven performers. If you start with either one of these you will be pleased!

There are plenty of choices for powder and bullets. Find what's available in your area(recommended powders) Work up a load and find what your gun likes. You can get lots of advice and suggestions here.

Back