Solid Gould VS Steel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I finally shot my Steel target today for it’s first test, I was shooting my the Lyman Gould bullet (Solid Version) Thanks to 52bore for making me a Solid Pin, your work is AWESOME Rick!! She’s a shooter, and BAD dude on my 3/8 plate steel!! My powder charge was just 70 Grains of Swiss 3F, A wool OP wad, And lubed with Ed’s Blue, and my Bear grease mixture (All of My rifles LOVE this stuff! :yeah: )

This is the Dead End of an old abandoned Logging rd, i drive out and turn around, set my target up and drive out to 100 yards.
e3wJBPZ.jpg

I shot 5 times, This 350 Grain Bullet puts a SERIOUS WALLOP on this big heavy 3/8 Steel Plate, My Freebie plate isn’t gonna last long! I would NEVER have thought this bullet would do this kind of Damage to 3/8 steel? Glad I didn’t have a bet on it, i would be paying up! :D What a FUN target to shoot! :yeah:
7A3V3pC.jpg

These were laying within a few feet of the Target in the rd, This 40-1 Alloy hits HARD, REALLY HARD! They are pretty much flattened out to about Nickel thickness
XqZYjnk.jpg

My portable rifle rest is handy, that thing lives in the back of my truck, The reason i always have 2 wash clothes in the Cradles is to allow my rifle to naturally slide in to my shoulder under recoil, I was reading a thread down below started by ENCORE50A, titled “Straighter Recoil Movement” i have been doing similar for years, and that’s using the Wash clothes, I’m sure the Satin/Silk stuff would be smoother, but the Wash clothes have worked AWESOME for me for years. I use to own a Lead Sled years ago, i admit they are VERY nice for Load development, Especially with heavy kicking Magnums, but they are not worth a DARN for sighting a rifle in, I killed an Elk, and a Deer the year i got rid of my Lead sled, Both Animals were hit just under the backbone, i was aiming for low behind the front shoulder? When my hunting season was over i took my rifle out and shot it straight over the hood of my truck over a Coat, this allowed the rifle to naturally kick me, lo and behold my shots were HIGH, the Lead sled doesn’t allow the rifle to Freely Recoil, it pins it down, therefore my rifle shot different against my shoulder, HIGH

Those that use, and swear by their Sleds REALLY need to check there POI against the Shoulder, the same as you would in a Hunting situation, A heavier kicking Magnum Rifle will likely show up more than say a .308

Lew, I sure do envy you especially being you're able to shoot those steel plates. My club doesn't allow that only paper targets. It would be fun to hear the clan when those bullets hit. Like you I really am liking these Gould bullets more and more. Less recoil and they sure hit like the hammer of Thor. At least the deer my grandsons have taken with them think so. GRIN. God willing, I'll finally get to use them this year myself. Last several years I hunted with one of my grandsons on opening day and let them have the opportunity on deer. I enjoy that just as much as if I pulled the trigger.

Got to love how those lead bullets flatten out.

Good deal!
First few years of LR at Friendship - the mild steel plates cupped severely.. Now, they are all some sort of armor plate.
Your quarter sized pieces are very common when hitting plates. I love the indentations on you plate from the bullets - a double may penetrate.
How much did is sway?

edmehlig said:
Lew, I sure do envy you especially being you're able to shoot those steel plates. My club doesn't allow that only paper targets. It would be fun to hear the clan when those bullets hit. Like you I really am liking these Gould bullets more and more. Less recoil and they sure hit like the hammer of Thor. At least the deer my grandsons have taken with them think so. GRIN. God willing, I'll finally get to use them this year myself. Last several years I hunted with one of my grandsons on opening day and let them have the opportunity on deer. I enjoy that just as much as if I pulled the trigger.

Got to love how those lead bullets flatten out.

I absolutely love this little Gould Bullet, They definitely hit HARD! But even more important is the accuracy :yeah: The light Recoil is truly a Welcoming thing, especially after a bunch of 500 plus Grain Slugs with 85-95 Grains of powder :shock: One should never underestimate the Capability of a 350 Grain slug, I catch myself calling the Lyman Gould “Little” When in fact it really isn’t little, My thinking when i am calling them little is coming from shooting a steady diet of 450-550 Grain bullets, in that case the Gould is kinda small :D

I feel fortunate to live where i do, and be able to shoot within a few minutes of home, As you probably notice in my photos i shoot a lot of different areas, We have Mountain ranges that run for miles n miles, most of the rds are open to the public, and rarely do i ever see another person. For every shovel full of snow i throw in the Winter months i think about all the Good of living here, it kinda helps keep the spirits up when you are standing to your Waist in Snow :lol: We only have 1 public Range that i am aware of reasonably close by? (about an hour drive) I have heard a lot of good about it, One of our forum members here is an Avid guy at that Range, I know they have a Roundball only Shoot there, i have thought about setting up a Roundball Rifle and getting involved, But Patched Roundball has yet to grab my interest. Truth is i am more of a Mountain Guy, i’d rather Grab a Rifle, my gear, and head for the hills :yeah:

I use to belong to an Archery Club, I was an off n on working member there from a young Teenager to my mid/late 30s, I got bored and tired of it, Guess who the Main Call guy was to fall all of the Danger Trees, build trails, Target stands, Pack 3D targets, etc. etc. etc. I donated more hours to that place than i could ever begin to remember, i helped setup for Nationals, You name it. I finally hit a Burn out Point, When i moved away i told myself that i would NEVER belong to another Club of any kind, i have held true to that. I understand it’s a labor of love, i did it, and at one time loved it, But not anymore. I respect those that do, i know what it takes :yeah: These days i prefer to do my own thing

52Bore said:
Good deal!
First few years of LR at Friendship - the mild steel plates cupped severely.. Now, they are all some sort of armor plate.
Your quarter sized pieces are very common when hitting plates. I love the indentations on you plate from the bullets - a double may penetrate.
How much did is sway?

I agree, i think a perfect double might get through this stuff? The plate swung pretty good, Sure makes a neat ring! I was hoping it would hold up better, but after this morning i can see it’s not gonna, it must be fairly soft stuff? There is a Welding shop about 6-8 miles from me, they have 2 big sheets of AR500 steel, one is 1/4” and the other is 3/8” as much fun as this target is to shoot I think i will spring for a Nice Chunk of the 3/8” AR500 stuff, I don’t think i can begin to hurt a piece of that with these Muzzleloaders.

Rick, Thanks again for your work on my Mold, I Love this thing! Your pin setup is FAR AND AWAY superior to the factory Lyman pin! You do AWESOME work!! :yeah:

Latest posts

Back