Sore shoulder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At my age I'm not really liking recoil. Decided to try smaller lighter bullets. Say something in the neighborhood of 185-200 grain xtp with 80 grains of powder. In the past it seems like the bigger bullets are more accurate (stabilize better?). Just wondering members experience with lighter bullets in a 50 cal.

I shoot Barnes n XTP's in 200 gr, 225gr, 230 gr n 250 gr. .451 in sabots from my Blk. Diamond at 75 gr T7 2f. Recoil is not bad, i don't have a .50 inline just a .45 sml NEF but its very easy to handle the recoil with any of the Blk. or Sub. powders. I don't have any trouble up to 56 gr of H4198. Once i go past that its shoulder punishment n it takes a Toll me fairly quick. I will be 73 in June but i am 100 % disabled, so you may fall into the same area of too much just hurts for no reason.

When I had a .50 cal cva mzl I used a harvester dark blue sabot with a 40 cal 200 grain bullet or a 180 grain 40 cal bullet in that sabot.It is a 50x40 sabot.The number is p/nh15040bl.And I used 90 grains of bh209 p0wder.I still have 2 packages of the sabots because I went all 45's now.

in another thread about shooting after shoulder surgery, the best way to avoid damage or pain is to disperse the impact by using a shoulder pad rather than a padded butt plate, the object of using a shoulder pad is to spread out the rearward force across the biggest area possible...
if you hit the top of your hand with a hammer, the impact is in a small area and will cause much pain or damage, now put a 4 inch square of wood on your hand and hit again, it wont be anything close in pain or damage compared to the 1 inch face of the hammer hitting the same spot..

At my age I'm not really liking recoil. Decided to try smaller lighter bullets. Say something in the neighborhood of 185-200 grain xtp with 80 grains of powder. In the past it seems like the bigger bullets are more accurate (stabilize better?). Just wondering members experience with lighter bullets in a 50 cal.
I always had better luck with 45 cal bullets than the 40 cal bullets.
When I had my CVA Optima V2 50, a Barnes 45ACP 185gr in a MMP black sabot with BH209. I shot 74gr (W) of BH209. I'm sure 80gr (V) of BH209 would be very low recoil.

What 50 cal do you have ? Wide range of powders n combo's to work with. Are you punching holes in targets ? Do you hunt ?

the best way to avoid damage or pain is to disperse the impact by using a shoulder pad rather than a padded butt plate,

My wife sewed pads into the shoulders of my shooting shirts. The pad allows me to fire heavy recoiling muzzleloader and center fire rifles without pain.

Back