Spare parts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I ordered spare plugs and hammer springs from Marlowe this week. Besides those 2 items what do you DWB's keep on hand? I'm thinking about getting spare hammers for my Lightning and Whitetail .... but I don't know. Do hammers go bad?

Last edited:
Plugs and springs for sure. I do have a spare S91 hammer assembly and G series hammer. Also a Bold trigger, and cocking lever ( G series).
Probably will never need them, but my boys/ grandsons might.
Better to have and not need vs need and not have, right?

Last edited:
After a long time. I’m going to be ordering a couple of springs for my M98 and a couple of cocking levers for the M97’s/Whitetails. Somehow one of my grandsons lost one last year. I guess he didn’t insert it properly?

The reason I asked is because during my last shooting session with the Lightning I was getting failure to detonate the cap. Figured I had bad caps, plug or hammer spring. I was getting about 50% first time detonation. What kind of life are you guys getting out of your plugs?

The reason I asked is because during my last shooting session with the Lightning I was getting failure to detonate the cap. Figured I had bad caps, plug or hammer spring. I was getting about 50% first time detonation. What kind of life are you guys getting out of your plugs?
That's how I discovered the spring length difference! I had a 3" spring in one of the S91' s and a 4.5" spring in the other. The longer hammer assembly requires a longer spring after several fail to fires. It's much harder to cock, but worth it when you need it.

I'm going to try that same plug with a new spring and see what happens. I hope it is the spring and not the plug. I'll try some rws 1075 caps also to see if that makes any difference.

May be due to your cap to nipple fit. I have a S91 that the caps didn’t fit on the OEM plug quite well enough and it would do the same thing. If that’s the issue and you’re sticking with that cap, you can file/sand the nipple so that the cap fits better.

The Bestill plug is definitely the way to go. I wouldn’t spend money on more OEM plugs.

Spare parts can make the difference between a "shooter" and a "wallhanger" - no matter what firearm bespoken. Do not follow me as a role model, for after 60 years of firearms interest, I have a myriad of parts but no clue as to exactly what some go to....!! label stuff and at least keep similar things together.

Other caveat is equally simplistic: If something breaks and you intend to keep it, buy two replacement parts - one to fix the part and a spare when the replacement part breaks. Jonathan Browning original mainspring broke after many years and it was out of production. Replacement mainspring snapped the first time it was cocked. Bought two more mainsprings. Same thing with the next one. Remaining mainspring held but by then the supplier had no more mainsprings. Sold Jonathan rapidly. Lesson learned.

El Diablo has it right, some of the nipples are a little big, and different brand of caps may not seat all way.
If the cap isn't seated firmly against the nipple, the hammer strike will be "cushioned" as the cap stretches and seats. After having a few misfires with my first G Series White, I found the "fix".
I follow this procedure when capping a G series:

With the cap placed on the nipple:
  1. Lower the muzzle close to the ground, or a safe direction.
  2. Holding the cocking handle FIRMLY, pull the trigger and GENTLY let the hammer down to rest on the cap.
  3. Take your thumb and apply pressure to the cocking handle downwards onto the cap. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. You will typically feel the cap "stretch" down till it seats firmly against the nipple.
  4. Cock your rifle and shoot when ready.

Do this a few times with just a cap on the rifle, and no charge in the barrel. You will feel the difference.
Of course, it goes without saying, make sure the fire channel is clear in the nipple.

The parts I keep on hand are a hammer spring, trigger, and breech plugs. I bought a Bestill plug for the S91 I used to hunt with and installed a platinum lined nipple which will be the last nipple/plug I will ever need. The platinum nipples are expensive but in theory, should never need a new nipple.

Are you running a cap through to clear the nipple before your next load?

Latest posts

Back