Spare parts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Diablo has it right, some of the nipples are a little big, and different brand of caps may not seat all way.
If the cap isn't seated firmly against the nipple, the hammer strike will be "cushioned" as the cap stretches and seats. After having a few misfires with my first G Series White, I found the "fix".
I follow this procedure when capping a G series:

With the cap placed on the nipple:
  1. Lower the muzzle close to the ground, or a safe direction.
  2. Holding the cocking handle FIRMLY, pull the trigger and GENTLY let the hammer down to rest on the cap.
  3. Take your thumb and apply pressure to the cocking handle downwards onto the cap. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. You will typically feel the cap "stretch" down till it seats firmly against the nipple.
  4. Cock your rifle and shoot when ready.

Do this a few times with just a cap on the rifle, and no charge in the barrel. You will feel the difference.
Of course, it goes without saying, make sure the fire channel is clear in the nipple.
Do you “pre-stretch” a bunch of caps? Maybe do a whole tin in advance?

For my s91 I have a spare hammer and 2 spare springs and a second stock. I have that Hankins breech plug with replaceable nipple as well as 2 original plugs. I would like to get another hammer and a couple spare trigger safety levers.

Latest posts

Back