Sportsmans Warehouse

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Here in Minnesota the store were purchased by the same group owning Bass Pros and Cabelas. Just curious if all of the Sportsmans are doing down this path or only in Minnesota.

Seems a shame to loose more and more of the box store to these huge conglomerates.

The one here in Lansing looks and feels like the old Gander Mountain. It didnt seem like it was BPS owned. Ill ask next time I'm there. Gander got bought by Camping World, maybe they also bought up some Sportsmans Warehouse stores?

Our Sportsmans Warehouse building was bought by a Whole Different outfit here, It’s called Blacksheep Sporting goods, They were here many many years before Sportsmans Warehouse

Kind of a neat Story on ours
https://www.forbes.com/sites/elizab...ore-than-one-goliath-in-45-years-in-business/
The Old Blacksheep
UgDj9Ln.jpg

And the new (used to be Sportsman Warehouse, i think they all look alike?)
7v8teyB.jpg

The Great American Outdoors Group

Sportsman's Warehouse Acquired by Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's Parent Company. The Great American Outdoors Group has agreed to acquire Sportsman's Warehouse, a leading outdoor specialty company based in the western U.S. with 112 store locations, according to a press release.4 days ago

I always drove up to the one in the Twin Cities. I was never too impressed with their gun/shooting/hunting departments but the fishing tackle end of it was top shelf. That store closed then re-opened in a new location that was harder to get to so I stopped going there and many of the guys I knew working in the original location did not get in on the move so the store pretty much fell by the wayside for me. Still, its sad to see that bass pro outfit buying all these "once good" stores. Gander, Cabelas, and now Sportsmans....its a shame.

I actually hate going in to any of the big corporate stores, including WalMart. I have heard some pretty damn stupid advice given out to customers over the gun or archery counters by associates that had no idea what they were talking about. I actually had a kid tell me once that I needed to shoot 2117 arrows from my bow, because they shot good for him. The Easton arrow chart, clearly showed I needed a 2319 or 2514. I schooled him and hoped nobody fell for his advice.

Here in Minnesota the store were purchased by the same group owning Bass Pros and Cabelas. Just curious if all of the Sportsmans are doing down this path or only in Minnesota.

Seems a shame to loose more and more of the box store to these huge conglomerates.
The one in Chattanooga is gone also they got Cabela's across the state line couple of years ago and as figured prices got higher service and selection of hunting worse

I work and travel a lot in the south central portion of Pennsylvania where there are now two Sportsman's Warehouse stores. One is in Camp Hill, the other in Chambersburg. The one in Camp Hill used to be a Field & Stream store. The one in Chambersburg used to be a Gander Mountain and changed to a Gander Outdoor for a short time.
I must say that I do like Sportsman's Warehouse better than most of the others. You can actually handle the long guns on your own with out having to take a number or ask the clerk to take it down off the rack for you to handle.
Their selection of products seems to be pretty good. I was really surprised by how good their ammo selection was well until the hording started, now the shelves are bare.

Bass pro bought out the on in Cheyenne...! It’s to bad . Since bass pro bought Cabela’s quality has headed south... I will not buy anything from bass pro .

I work and travel a lot in the south central portion of Pennsylvania where there are now two Sportsman's Warehouse stores. One is in Camp Hill, the other in Chambersburg. The one in Camp Hill used to be a Field & Stream store. The one in Chambersburg used to be a Gander Mountain and changed to a Gander Outdoor for a short time.
I must say that I do like Sportsman's Warehouse better than most of the others. You can actually handle the long guns on your own with out having to take a number or ask the clerk to take it down off the rack for you to handle.
Their selection of products seems to be pretty good. I was really surprised by how good their ammo selection was well until the hording started, now the shelves are bare.
Sportsman's Warehouse always had great selection of reloading supplies and good prices good selection of muzzrloaders and components. Cabela's was always good prices and selection of guns ammo and reloading supplies. Bass Pro always has been higher than anyone else very limited on everything and customer service terrible. I guess if you can't or want compete buy them out and shut them down or like in some Bass Pro owned Cabela's raise your prices and cut back in inventory

Well that’s a pity... Bass Pro dragged Cabelas down and now they’re going to do the same with Sportsman’s?! Glad we can still get to Scheels once or twice a year!

Not sure why Big corporate seems to have an adverse affect on stores not just the certain departments when overtaken. We were very fortunate to have had multiple Big R come into our area over the years and then take over by Stock & Field and rumor has it will be take over again. We went from having good known powder and even primers on the shelf to almost no firearms again.

Not sure why Big corporate seems to have an adverse affect on stores not just the certain departments when overtaken. We were very fortunate to have had multiple Big R come into our area over the years and then take over by Stock & Field and rumor has it will be take over again. We went from having good known powder and even primers on the shelf to almost no firearms again.
One word GREED guess I and most of my gun club and hunting friends will continue to use what few small shops left and start online everything else we can I will do everything possible to avoid BP

I would see the puchase of all these sporting companies as a good sign. They feel business is going to be there and not get shut down. You dont buy a sporting goods company if you feel a large portion of the sale items is going to be withdrawn.

Well that’s a pity... Bass Pro dragged Cabelas down and now they’re going to do the same with Sportsman’s?! Glad we can still get to Scheels once or twice a year!
I agree with Scheels...I just went to their new one in Lincoln ... it’s to bad about Cabelas and sportsman’s. My wife was the operation manager at The Kearney Nebraska store for 25 years and she said as soon as Cabelas went public it turned to ****. After bass pro bought em out it really did

I pretty much have to buy all my shooting stuff online. Muzzleloader.com is my go to for almost everything I use.
I buy almost everything on line. I shop for deals, check reviews, look for options, whatever. Also, after hunting, fishing, camping, etc for 52 years, there's very little a salesman can help me with. Not that I know it all but I have the years of experience in my favor.

I have a big Scheels ten minutes away so I'm lucky. They, as a rule, have plenty of Blackhorn under $40.00. Primers are so-so. Bullets? I won't buy carded stock so I order on- line along with the sabots.

I agree with Scheels...I just went to their new one in Lincoln ... it’s to bad about Cabelas and sportsman’s. My wife was the operation manager at The Kearney Nebraska store for 25 years and she said as soon as Cabelas went public it turned to ****. After bass pro bought em out it really did
Cabelas was great when the owners were passionate about supplying the needs of outdoorsmen and women. When they went public that focus shifted almost completely to making higher profit. Of course the Cabelas family made money too but that shift in focus is all it takes.

Walmart is the perfect example. I never met Sam Walton but I believe we could have been on the same page. I’ve worked on several multi million dollar projects for his children and grandchildren and they seem to think they exist on another plane far above the one that little people like us inhabit... I haven’t met one I’d cross the street to toss a bucket of warm spit on if they were burning.

Latest posts

Back