Stuck Breach plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I have a CVA Elk horn someone gave me and I cannot get the breach plug out of the gun. The barrel crown is rusty and it appears the inside of the barrel is rusty also. Should I just cut this thing in half with a band saw or attempt to get the plug out and use it? I have tried soaking in PB blaster and cranking on it and it wont move.

X2. Its really not worth the work. Try to heat it. Or if you can change just the nipple and scrub the bore then just shoot it like a non removable breech plug gun. But I would just not spend the time on it.

I have a nice CVA stainless 50cal, but wanted to gift this one to a buddy who cant afford one. I figured I would soak the barrel and brush out as much rust as possible if I could remove the plug.

Try heat along with the penetrant. Just don't strip the head. If it budges at all, keep soaking and gently work it back and forth. Heat it and cool it. Repeat it, repeatedly. Heat cycles will expand and contract the steel, allowing the penetrant to start working its way into the threads. Above all, take your time. Don't rush it.

Take out your nipple....put in your breech plug tool and point barrel to the ground and hit tool with a hammer....The vibration will break the seize of the plug....then it should be able to be removed.....I’ve done it a few times over the years when buying used muzzleloaders.....

Back