stuck sabot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
I have a Remington 700ml, It hasn't been shot in about 4 years. I took it out to go shooting and ran into a problem. I had a very difficult time getting the sabot started into the barrel. Once I got it started, I could only get it down the barrel about 6 inches. I gave up, I didn't want to do anything dangerous. I'm curious as to why it wouldn't load, I was using the same sabots that I used in the past. Also, what's the best way to get it back out? should I remove the breach plug and push it back out? Should I have oiled the barrel before loading it?

Sean

what's the best way to get it back out? should I remove the breach plug and push it back out?

Yes

You shouldn't need to oil the barrel in order to load.

Was it cleaned the last time it was shot?

What sabot/bullet combo are you using?

Mine really likes T/C Cheap Shots

Seanboy

It would be my guess that you have the wrong sabot/bullet combination for that bore...

Pull the BP and drop out the powder then put a little oil down the muzzle and with a wooden dowel tap the combination back out of the bore the way you put it in. Make sure the dowel will fit inside the powder cup without expanding the cup....

Did you run a couple patches down the barrel to make sure it was clean before you attempted to load it? I am betting you had a little rust and/or crud in there and it has made it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to load. Pull the breech plug, dump the powder, and push the sabot/bullet back out the muzzle.

Good luck and be safe.

The proper way to extract any load from a muzzleloader requires the screw attachment for the end of your ramrod. Screw the tip on, ram the rod into the bullet and twist it in. Pull the bullet out, and repeat to extract the sabot. Very quick and easy and works for round balls, conicals and sabots. Yes, I've had a lot of practice.

I remove the charge frequently from my inline rifles by pushing everything out the breech end. That way I don't have to clean them.

I was using the same sabot/bullet combination I've used in the past, they were actually ones that I had left over from the last time I shot it. It was cleaned the last time I used it, I made that mistake once before and let the gun sit for a couple of months before I cleaned it. It was very difficult to get the breech plug out when I did that, I'll never do that again.

Latest posts

Back