Suggestions for a youth gun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
It seems I may have created a monster. I took my granddaughter hunting and now that's all she wants to do. She has a single-shot .22 but I'd like to research some actual hunting guns like a 20 ga. shotgun or a .243 rifle.

I know that Remington makes a youth model 20 ga. in the 870 but, other than a single-shot Rossi, don't know about any others.

Any suggestions will be welcome. First-hand knowledge is always the best.

I bought my grandson the new Ruger American in 243. He is 9 and handles it perfectly. He shot his first deer this year a button buck. Thought it was a doe but the spike was about 6" when we found the deer. He has shot it in the eye. Dropped in about 8 feet. This is a light gun with little recoil. Good luck.

Is it a youth model with a shorter LOP like 12-13" ? She has trouble holding up a long barrel and sighting in if the LOP is more than 13".

IT MIGHT BE A SHORTER STOCK. I REMEMBER MY SON STATING THAT HE MAY HAVE TO BUT THE SLIP ON PAD FOR THE STOCK TO MAKE IT LONGER FOR HIM. I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD MAKE A SUGGESTION. MAYBE ON LINE SEARCH THROUGH GOOGLE MIGHT HELP GOOD LUCK

JUST FOUND A SITE WHICH LISTED THE RUGER AS HAVING THE FOLLOWING SPECS:

BARREL---22"
OVERALL--42"
WEIGHT---6.25LBS
TWIST---1.9 RH
CAP---4RDS
MODEL <a href='/tags/6904' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #6904'>#6904</a>

Pato, that's one question where there will be lots of opinions.  My grandson shoots a 20 gauge bolt action shotgun, rifled barrel and scope.  However, with slugs it has a surprisingly heavy felt recoil.  Too much for my granddaughter, IMO.  I would go along with org57 on the 243 recommendation.  Here's the link for the Ruger American site: http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleCompact/models.html

It looked like the trigger pull was 12.5 "

I went to gun brokers.com and won a bid on the Ruger that I got for only $290. Could not beat that price

just found one on gun brokers for buy it now at $319 with an 18" barrel and at 6lbs. Hope it helps

maybe you might want to take her to a Bass pro store, let her hold the Ruger and see how it feel to her. Make sure she wears a good pair of ear muffs when shooting the Ruger so as not to scare her with the noise until she gets used to it. As before good luck.

She has a Bass Pro and an Academy Sports within 2 miles of her house. That's what I'll do. Thanks.

Bob I know you mentioned 243 so for that you can look at the Howa Ranch hand. Shorter barrel for better control and my 8 year old can handle it if the front end is supported. My overall choice if .223 can be used would be an AR15 with collapsible stock. It might sound a little weird but watching my son it makes sense. When my bolt action with scope is setup for me he is looking through a small dot because of the eye relief. Collapse the stock like an AR now he gets all of the he relief and so do I. It'll grow with him. I believe magpul also makes a collapsing stock for the 870 now

Started my young uns w Rem mdl 600 in .243. Found a stock at a gun show already shortened. When bigger changed the stock back. Now grandkids are starting to use them.
TC

Biddler, I've got a shorty M-16 with a collapsible stock and a 10.5" barrel but it's a Title 2 weapon and illegal to hunt with ... at least here it is.  :silent: 

It would be OK for practice though.

Here in KS .223 is legal for deer hunting as of 2 years ago. I think with good bullets like a Barnes it would get the job done just fine. Other option is find a wood stocked gun and have it shorted. I don't have wood working skills so I haven't tried it.

Back