Super easy cleanup for BH209 in a Nitride barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does a CVA Nitride barrel shooting sabots clean up incredibly easy?

obviously sabots mean no chance for copper fouling, which is my nemesis on sone of my centerfire rifles.

But I’m finding my quick cleanups between hunts basically require a couple of solvent damp patches to produce clean patches.

End of season deep clean is soon, and I’ll run a solvent damp brush just for peace of mind, but I wonder if it wil produce a cleaner barrel?

Shove a dry patch through first. Both sides of the patch. Then use solvent patches. The dry patch will push most of the fouling out without smearing it all over the bore.
A great tip! Thanks. I’ve been cleaning muzzleloaders for a long time and never thought of that. Of course, I have the engineering skills of a bent nail:)

GM suggested the dry patch first some time ago and I started doing it with all of my 209 guns and its a slick trick. After shooting the Accura and Optima pistol during the deer season I cleaned them well but never needed more than 6 patches start to finish on either gun to clean the barrels.

A great tip! Thanks. I’ve been cleaning muzzleloaders for a long time and never thought of that. Of course, I have the engineering skills of a bent nail:)
the engineering skills of a bent nail huh, well I wont be askin for yer help to build a rocket ship off this rock then deerlessbob. I actually learned that dry patch first trick by accident. I ran a dry patch thru after a bunch of repeated shots just to see how much crud BH 209 would build up in my barrel after so many shots like Ive never been able to do with anything else. When the rather hefty amount pf black crud came right out it hit me that that would cut my cleaning time even more by doin that first from then on. The ole blind squirrel & the acorn scenario.

Back