Swabbing Between Shots with BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowler1

Reaction score
I am going to switch from 777 pellets to BH209. I have read that some people say they do not need to swab between shots with this powder. I imagine that you probably could do this, but not sure if that means it is a "best practice" for maximum accuracy. Not swabbing between shots would be nice of course, but I would think that it's still something you should do.

Do you swab between shots with BH209? If so how many patches do you run down the bore? If you don't swab, then is it okay to leave the gun "fouled" for a few days after shooting without risk of corrosion?

thanks
matt

I leave my hunting rifles fouled and loaded with BH209 for weeks or months. That’s the beauty of BH209 - no need to swab. For hunting rifles at 300 yards and under, you’ll see no real difference in accuracy. Although, if you’re shooting targets at 1000 yards, there may be some benefit.

Okay, thanks. That's exactly what I would have hoped for. I am not a fan of swabbing between shots if I don't have to and have never liked the fact that I had to break down and clean my gun after shot I took during hunting season.

Do you intentionally start the hunting season with a fouled bore or do you not find a difference in point of impact between the first shot out of a clean bore vs. a shot out of a pre-fouled bore?

Matt

Yes, I have always found a difference in clean/fouled poi with my muzzys. I think if my hunting shots were limited to very close range - like 50-75 yds - I’d probably just shoot a clean barrel and not worry about a small shift. But I routinely take shots out to 300 or more.

I am eager to get to the range and see how it shoots in my gun. Given how clean this obviously shoots I regret not having switched to it earlier. Seems like it should be a no brainer I would think....

I am going to switch from 777 pellets to BH209. I have read that some people say they do not need to swab between shots with this powder. I imagine that you probably could do this, but not sure if that means it is a "best practice" for maximum accuracy. Not swabbing between shots would be nice of course, but I would think that it's still something you should do.

Do you swab between shots with BH209? If so how many patches do you run down the bore? If you don't swab, then is it okay to leave the gun "fouled" for a few days after shooting without risk of corrosion?

thanks
matt
I run a dry patch down the bore after each shot from the breech to the muzzle after every shot and then clean fully after each shooting session. I always shoot for record on a fouled bore so I shoot a fouling shot the day before I hunt but I don't let it sit fouled over a week. I know many don't believe BH 209 is corrosive but in fact it is...just less so than other substitutes.
Regardless, that's how I do it and it works for me.

No, loads easier w/o swabbing and usually more accurate. Its not like 777 or black it gets better when you dont swab. I always clean after I shoot but some guys leave it for a day or two not worth it to me to take the chance.
Clearly we have different experiences and approaches on this subject. I suggest we agree to disagree.

At the current price, it is available almost everywhere. But at $70 per 1/2 lb, it’s not that much better than other powders. So it’s starting to sit on shelves
Everywhere you are maybe but availability and the consequent price hike because of the orchestrated shortage has been the name of this substitute for several years now. Prior to the scamdemic it was readily available and reasonably priced. Hell...it was even available in 5 lb jugs! Can you imagine that now?

Back