Sway me, guys!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckspotter

Reaction score
I am a 20 year bowhunter, fairly successfull, considering adding a muzzleloader to my weapons closet.

I bowhunted Nevada, stalking bedded bucks in open country like I like to do. I had many opportunities at 26" plus bucks where I could have easily been around 100 yards taking a shot, or waiting for them to stand up. But it was very difficult to get within the 40 yard range. I have considered the bow to be much more difficult to hunt with than the modern muzzleloader, and I really like the challenge. But I came home empty, and those big bucks I have on video are haunting me, and I am very tempted to try my method with a muzzleloader.

Anyone else been through a similiar dilemna, or have anything to contribute?

Thanks,

Mike, St. George, UT

1st off welcome. I don't think anyone here can convince to to buy a muzzleloader. That you'll have to do for yourself and to me is sounds like your trying to do that. What folks here can do is give advise and suggestions on what you should get. I can tell you that I started off with an in line and pyrodex. I soon tired of the cleaning and have since gone to a smokeless savage. Most swear by them but some like to be traditional. The final decision will have to be yours. When I started I started with a center fire and worked my way to bows. With a muzzle loader you have to be closer then with a center fire and with a bow you have to be closer still. That's fun and a challenge. Anyway again welcome and good luck.

First off let me welcome you to the forum. It is good to have you here.

As for what the modern muzzleloader can do for you is up to you and how you load and practice. You can work loads up and outfit the rifle with special optics and sights that would put you in the range of them big bucks if you do your part.

Another alternative if you want more excitement, perhaps try a flintlock shooting roundball. That would limit you to still a 100 yard range, but add an additional degree of difficulty which sounds like something you enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome and replies, guys.

I like the idea of starting off with the top of the line, modern muzzleloader, then transitioning to a primitive gun. That makes a lot of sense.

I have enjoyed this site so much allready. Thanks again,

Mike

Latest posts

Back