Tang mounted peep for a Renegade?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having experimented with different size holes for peep sites that I've made for my muzzleloader's, I discovered that a very large hole compared to most, doesn't seen to be as inaccurate as a person would think. The last one made, was 3/16 (.1875) drill bit size, which is a tiny bit large. 5/32 (.156) would probably be a little more ideal. Mine are used both for hunting and target shooting and the advantage of the large peep for hunting cannot be expressed good enough. With my peeps I can see the whole critter and can still center the bead where I want it. I'm not a long-range shooter such as Idaho Ron or some, strictly hunt with round balls and feel that 100 yards is the top end. I'm still able to get that close. I also use a fairly large outside diameter, possibly up to 5/8 of an inch.
Squint

That's well over 300 yards on my guns. I have 4 Lyman 57sml peep sights. And 2 of the Williams. Both are good in my opinion. But the Lyman is better for hunting do to the quick setting of yardage with the button. The looseness of the sight really has never held me back at hunting distances.
Lewis cites the looseness issue but for most mortals it’s not gonna be a problem…

Lewis cites the looseness issue but for most mortals it’s not gonna be a problem…

I think he was looking at 500 yards with it pretty well extended but it does move a bit at all distance.
I shoot to 300 a lot. The Lyman is loose. But it doesn't flop. If it flopped around the sighting would be impossible. The higher it gets the more movement is there. At 100 yards if you screw the stop down there is almost no play at all.
The elevation screw is in a spring loaded nut. The spring pretty well keeps it in one place. If you shake the gun vigorously it won't flop. That is because of the spring loaded nut. They seem to go back to the same position that it always is in especially at distance under 300 yards.

I have both williams and lyman, both are great but the williams is much more sturdy especially when cranked all the way up

I like the target knob Williams

Does anyone have one? And the ability to tell me - Is it a “click type” adjustment? Or loose screw type.(Haha)

Just curious if it holds zero and is field adjustable?

Does anyone have one? And the ability to tell me - Is it a “click type” adjustment? Or loose screw type.(Haha)

It's kinda both lol has a set screw and yet it's click adj

Click type. One click equals roughly a quarter moa. but that depends of course on the sight radius of the rifle in question.

Once you are comfortable with the windage you can lock it down. If you have the target knobs, including the target style gib lock screw, you can easily adjust your elevation in the field and then lock it down as needed. They’re great sights!

Having experimented with different size holes for peep sites that I've made for my muzzleloader's, I discovered that a very large hole compared to most, doesn't seen to be as inaccurate as a person would think. The last one made, was 3/16 (.1875) drill bit size, which is a tiny bit large. 5/32 (.156) would probably be a little more ideal. Mine are used both for hunting and target shooting and the advantage of the large peep for hunting cannot be expressed good enough. With my peeps I can see the whole critter and can still center the bead where I want it. I'm not a long-range shooter such as Idaho Ron or some, strictly hunt with round balls and feel that 100 yards is the top end. I'm still able to get that close. I also use a fairly large outside diameter, possibly up to 5/8 of an inch.
Squint

My shooting is much the same as yours, Squint, and I've also experimented with different peep sight hole diameters. Would like to add a couple of things:
1) the large OD discs can be a real disadvantage if it's a sunny day and the sun is directly behind you. The light reflected from the disc will be bright and make sighting through the hole nearly impossible. Even the standard size discs can be too much.
Which brings me to
2) Unscrewing the disc and using its mount as a ghost-ring rear sight is surprisingly accurate for shots inside 70 yards, maybe further. It eliminates light reflection from the disc, if that's annoying, plus it preserves sight alignment...but you do have to use a little extra care to keep the front sight centered in the ghost aperture.

Back