Tape vs anti seize on BP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach.trumble

Reaction score
CVA Optima V2 with the finger tight screw out breech plug.

The thing I hate most about this gun is cleaning the grease off the breech plug and out of the thread on the bottom of the barrel. I'm also always worried that the grease will get into the barrel. And if I don't get it all cleaned out and they get mixed in with some fouling out of the barrel it's really nasty.

I've seen some people mention using tape instead of grease. Just wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in pros and cons.

Tape sure seems like it would be a lot cleaner.

What kind of tape do you use? Does it make a difference. Just plumbers seal tape? Or would you use the stuff rated for gas line?

Thank you for your time

Use thin single layer of white Teflon tape and just a little gun oil on tape after wrapped. Works great and simple clean up.

All I do with my CVA finger removable breech plugs is put a couple of drops of oil on them when I install them after cleaning and I have never had a problem removing them. When the breech plug is installed properly and fully seated, there is no blowback at all into the threads.

I use white, it is thinnest. Some guys use colors, But they are thicker, and for me, they usually are too tight. I even have to make sure I dont overwrap with white.

White is single thickness and recommended for (In plumbing) up to 3/8" diameter
Yellow is double density, often referred to as "gas tape"
Pink is triple density and for threads (In plumbing) 1/2" and over
Green is for welding hoses, and formulated for lines carrying oxygen
On a side note, Teflon tape, Isn't really teflon that's a trademarked Brand name
PTFE tape (Poly tetra fluoro ethylene) is just commonly called "teflon"
https://www.chemours.com/Teflon_Industrial/en_US/teflon_tape.html

zach.trumble said:
CVA Optima V2 with the finger tight screw out breech plug.

The thing I hate most about this gun is cleaning the grease off the breech plug and out of the thread on the bottom of the barrel. I'm also always worried that the grease will get into the barrel. And if I don't get it all cleaned out and they get mixed in with some fouling out of the barrel it's really nasty.
I've seen some people mention using tape instead of grease. Just wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in pros and cons.
Tape sure seems like it would be a lot cleaner.
What kind of tape do you use? Does it make a difference. Just plumbers seal tape? Or would you use the stuff rated for gas line?

You may not need anything. Worst case-scenario may only require a typical breechplug wrench. Depends on what powder you are shooting and how much.
I use 80-90 grains Goex FFF and I have no need for tape or grease. But I do use a small socket & wrench to remove my plugs.

Latest posts

Back