Teflon Tape

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vasmokepole

Reaction score
My current set up for my .504 is a 460gr bullet over 80gr of 777. I'm 2" high @ 100yds so good to 150yds without out a lot of thinking. I went to the range this morning to sight in a rifle for the upcoming deer season so I thought I'd drag my White to check it. Did the teflon deal in a clean barrel and the bullet hit 4" high. Let the barrel cool and took another shot under normal dirty barrel conditions. Right where I left it. Is there a trick to this or am I missing something?

My current set up for my .504 is a 460gr bullet over 80gr of 777. I'm 2" high @ 100yds so good to 150yds without out a lot of thinking. I went to the range this morning to sight in a rifle for the upcoming deer season so I thought I'd drag my White to check it. Did the teflon deal in a clean barrel and the bullet hit 4" high. Let the barrel cool and took another shot under normal dirty barrel conditions. Right where I left it. Is there a trick to this or am I missing something?
How many times did you wrap the bullet? Do you use a wad or not? I kill deer every year using the Teflon tape no issues.

Only thing I can think of to add is... I just tape the grooved sides of the conical, not the top or bottom. One wrap till the ends meet.

I may have over lapped it too much. On another note the rifle just piles them in

Last edited:
I just wrapped up some .451 and.504 conicals for this season. It takes one wrap around the upper side, cut the tape then the lower and cut to cover the grooves.
Never tried the pink tape. The white tape works for me.

Prior to loading you might try getting the bore a little dirty by firing off a half dozen #11 caps or a few primers depending on your ignition system. This fouling will not hurt your bore. Works for me. I don't use tape ,but I do use a felt wad.

I usually run a dry patch down the bore a couple times, then pop off 2 #11 RWS caps. Never had a bullet "walk" off the powder charge when doing this. I also use a dry felt wad.

I never pop off primes, always shot with a clean barrel been doing it that way for years. Now a days wouldn't waste RWS caps they are very hard for me to fine.

I never pop off primes, always shot with a clean barrel been doing it that way for years. Now a days wouldn't waste RWS caps they are very hard for me to fine.
I use my easy to find CCI caps for dirtying up the barrel. My RWS are saved for shooting and hunting.
I have fairly good access to the RWS caps. jlynch if you are in need of some let me know and I can send you a couple of tins of them, or rather now a days ''plastics''.

Instead of wrapping them how about cutting two pieces and cross them over the bottom and bring them up to the middle of the bullet? Someone posted that before and it seemed like a good idea.

Instead of wrapping them how about cutting two pieces and cross them over the bottom and bring them up to the middle of the bullet? Someone posted that before and it seemed like a good idea.
I believe Ned Roberts first “posted” this technique. No Teflon tape back then of course…

Might work, never tried it. The groove wrap has worked for me for years, no reason to change unless experimenting.

I think I'll stick to paper patching. I use teflon tape on my BP threads but not on the bullets. I only have 2 muzzys that shoot right on with a clean barrel. Others need the barrel fouled to be consistent. Is this the first time you shot the teflon bullets with a clean barrel? Could be you have to foul first.

Back